A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

IMG_20210417_080138800.jpg

Turkeys can fly pretty well. Check out that blue sweetgrass on the roof!
IMG_20210417_193853558.jpg

The hens are obsessed with my irrigation dams ( made of special tarp with loops for poles) but at least I can find the eggs. Also, a skunk has been raiding my bait eggs! I've set some traps so hopefully I catch a dirty skunk. Stupid thing stole both my bait turkey eggs and the golf balls I use as nest filler!

View attachment 2624183
Turkeys can fly pretty well. Check out that blue sweetgrass on the roof!
View attachment 2624184
The hens are obsessed with my irrigation dams ( made of special tarp with loops for poles) but at least I can find the eggs. Also, a skunk has been raiding my bait eggs! I've set some traps so hopefully I catch a dirty skunk. Stupid thing stole both my bait turkey eggs and the golf balls I use as nest filler!
LOL how long did she stay on the roof?
Once in awhile a hen gets on my house roof, they get down pretty quick.

I have something getting bait eggs too. I think a opossum but haven't caught it I did catch another coon.but eggs still disappearing

20210418_172043.jpg
20210418_172027.jpg
Avocado's long snood is my favorite. It's just so ridiculously long compared to my other hens, except for her sister's which is long AND fat. I couldnt tell if they were toms for the longest time because they kept having long snoods and Avocado even got a beard, lol. Very much girls now, and I love them.

Had a pair of dogs tear through the backyard today. They didn't kill anyone, but Slater has had all but one tail feather removed, along with most back feathers above the tail... Looks like he released them as there are no discernable teeth marks and just a little skin tearing from the feathers pulling out. My spare blue silver marans cock took the brunt of the damage. The turkey hens all scattered to the four winds, with the smartest immediately jumping up into the hay barn rafters, and two jumping into the roof. 6 hens were hidden, we spotted one about a quarter of a mile away in the other hay field. The other 5 came back on their own, never found where they hid. Only Slater was caught by the dogs, among the turkeys, and that poor cock gets to recover a day in the basement.

Had a pair of dogs tear through the backyard today. They didn't kill anyone, but Slater has had all but one tail feather removed, along with most back feathers above the tail... Looks like he released them as there are no discernable teeth marks and just a little skin tearing from the feathers pulling out. My spare blue silver marans cock took the brunt of the damage. The turkey hens all scattered to the four winds, with the smartest immediately jumping up into the hay barn rafters, and two jumping into the roof. 6 hens were hidden, we spotted one about a quarter of a mile away in the other hay field. The other 5 came back on their own, never found where they hid. Only Slater was caught by the dogs, among the turkeys, and that poor cock gets to recover a day in the basement.
Oh no! I'm glad everyone got away relatively unscathed, this is one of my biggest fears. We have been lucky enough to not have a stray dog wander up in the 4 or 5 years since we got poultry but I feel like it's only a matter of time. Makes me want to get to fixing my backyard fence and extending it to fit all the birds inside faster.

Poor Slater was hiding in the turkey nesting boxes and I didn't find him for a while. I do know that if those dogs come back around, there's a chance they may not leave. I'm just very thankful everyone survived, that feels like a miracle!
Poor guy
I wouldn't let them leave either.
Any idea who's they belong to?

Back
Top Bottom