A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Poor Slater was hiding in the turkey nesting boxes and I didn't find him for a while. I do know that if those dogs come back around, there's a chance they may not leave. I'm just very thankful everyone survived, that feels like a miracle!
The whole reason for adopting SSS..

IMG_20210421_090903132.jpg
IMG_20210421_090859669.jpg
IMG_20210421_090842747_HDR.jpg

Here is Slater today. I suppose we are lucky the dog was a retriever (black lab?)and not a different kind of dog or he'd be missing more than feathers!

I am starting a new thread in hopes we get everyone together on one thread for turkeys instead of several "turkey talk" threads.

If I fail, so be it.

Rules here are simple..

1. have fun
2. BYOB
3. at some point mention turkeys. if it goes a tad of topic, who cares.

I currently have a dozen, I think, eggs in the incubator they should hatch May 1. I hope.

I have one turkey Ethel and her mate JJ free ranging. She has a nest, but who knows where. ( these two are red slates)

I have been thinking of buying a tracking device to hang on her neck to find her eggs. Amazon has some for 12 bucks.

I have 4 blues in a pen and am collecting eggs from the 3 hens, I am getting 1-3 a day, I have yet to figure out their timing, but they are young'uns.

The Tom and 2 hens are self blue the other hen is a splash, which means I should be free of blacks this year.

I am a little worried about the free ranging turkeys, They are roosting on the fence for the blues, I have game bird netting covering the blues, I worry the reds will fall off the fence or step on the netting and get caught,,dumb birds...

Finally just to show something on the start of the thread... I offer you my little video I took yesterday of the worlds dumbest rooster and the worlds dumbest tom..

The rooster actually started this after fighting with my other rooster who refused to put up with his nonsense. I should mention no birds were hurt in the filming of this. At the end when you hear me say that's enough, I broke them up and shut the gate. They are both too dumb to know they could have flown over the gate to fight again..

0.jpg

BTW my drink of choice tonight is water on the rocks....

I am starting a new thread in hopes we get everyone together on one thread for turkeys instead of several "turkey talk" threads.

If I fail, so be it.

Rules here are simple..

1. have fun
2. BYOB
3. at some point mention turkeys. if it goes a tad of topic, who cares.

I currently have a dozen, I think, eggs in the incubator they should hatch May 1. I hope.

I have one turkey Ethel and her mate JJ free ranging. She has a nest, but who knows where. ( these two are red slates)

I have been thinking of buying a tracking device to hang on her neck to find her eggs. Amazon has some for 12 bucks.

I have 4 blues in a pen and am collecting eggs from the 3 hens, I am getting 1-3 a day, I have yet to figure out their timing, but they are young'uns.

The Tom and 2 hens are self blue the other hen is a splash, which means I should be free of blacks this year.

I am a little worried about the free ranging turkeys, They are roosting on the fence for the blues, I have game bird netting covering the blues, I worry the reds will fall off the fence or step on the netting and get caught,,dumb birds...

Finally just to show something on the start of the thread... I offer you my little video I took yesterday of the worlds dumbest rooster and the worlds dumbest tom..

The rooster actually started this after fighting with my other rooster who refused to put up with his nonsense. I should mention no birds were hurt in the filming of this. At the end when you hear me say that's enough, I broke them up and shut the gate. They are both too dumb to know they could have flown over the gate to fight again..

0.jpg

BTW my drink of choice tonight is water on the rocks....
Hi.
If you could name a couple of good things and a couple of bad things about raising turkeys what would they be? I'm in learning mode. Well I guess I will always be. 😊 I have 6 baby turkeys. Not sure yet how many girls or boys I have yet. I got them last month on the 19th and they are still doing great and are very strong. Happy little babies. I didn't think I would like turkeys over chickens and ducks but so far I do.

Back
Top Bottom