A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Anyone know a nice turkey grower feed I can order online? My kids will be around 9 weeks soon and I want to switch them off the 30%, but the 2nd next step down that our tractor supply has is a nutrena naturewise 22% meat bird or a dumor 24% chick starter (not sure how much i like dumor).

I was looking at this one, but no reviews on it. I'm not super great at reading labels.
https://www.chewy.com/kruses-perfection-brand-grow-crumbles/dp/261815
Crude Protein (Min)24.0%
Lysine (Min)1.25%
Methionine (Min)0.4%
And according to a question someone asked on chewy the calcium is "0.8% Minimum, 1.3% Maximum, and 0.95 %"
Those are the only listed percentages I can find on chewy, though.
https://www.krusesperfection.com/products/game-bird/gamebird-turkey-grow-crumbles

Otherwise I'm open to suggestions. I don't want to pay a ton, but considering I might be able to finish growing these turkeys out on 1 50lb bag of feed since there's so few of them, I might be willing to pay a bit more then normal.

Anyone know a nice turkey grower feed I can order online? My kids will be around 9 weeks soon and I want to switch them off the 30%, but the 2nd next step down that our tractor supply has is a nutrena naturewise 22% meat bird or a dumor 24% chick starter (not sure how much i like dumor).

I was looking at this one, but no reviews on it. I'm not super great at reading labels.
Crude Protein (Min)24.0%
Lysine (Min)1.25%
Methionine (Min)0.4%
And according to a question someone asked on chewy the calcium is "0.8% Minimum, 1.3% Maximum, and 0.95 %"
https://www.krusesperfection.com/products/game-bird/gamebird-turkey-grow-crumbles

Otherwise I'm open to suggestions. I don't want to pay a ton, but considering I might be able to finish growing these turkeys out on 1 50lb bag of feed since there's so few of them, I might be willing to pay a bit more then normal.
That looks pretty much like a normal turkey grower.

Crude Protein (Min)24.0%
Lysine (Min)1.25%
Methionine (Min)0.4%

Is there a Orschelons not to far from you? They carry NatureWise All Flock. That's what I went too.
The tractor supply store always seems to run out of the All Flock around here.🤨

That looks pretty much like a normal turkey grower.
Gotcha, thanks! I'll probably order some next week.

Is there a Orschelons not to far from you? They carry NatureWise All Flock. That's what I went too.
The tractor supply store always seems to run out of the All Flock around here.🤨
We don't have an Orschelons, no, just Tractor Supply. NatureWise all flock is what I feed my adults/all our other birds though! I'm just looking for a little more protein then 20% to finish growing the kids out before I bump them down to the adult food eventually!

Turkeys have more intelligence than chickens. People mistake instinctual behaviors for intelligence. Instincts are not a sign of intelligence. Capability of learning is intelligence.

Turkeys have different instincts than chickens. Turkeys have the ability to learn far more than chickens can learn.

Admittedly broad breasted turkeys have been dumbed down. @memphis was able to teach her hen Daisy to run the same obstacle course that she used for dog training.
Does anyone have other interesting stories about turkeys being trained to do things? I would like to train a Tom to display on command...or patrol the front driveway...or attack squirrels...

Does anyone have other interesting stories about turkeys being trained to do things? I would like to train a Tom to display on command...or patrol the front driveway...or attack squirrels...
Training to display on command may seem easy during breeding season and futile outside of breeding season. Getting toms to gobble on cue is easy.

I doubt you will have much luck on patrolling the driveway or attacking squirrels.

Display on command is easy for me! He's never not displaying when he sees me, breeding season or not. It looks exhausting. I stepped out the back door earlier this morning before realizing i forgot something, and I noticed him sitting on the ground. He saw me, and while still sitting, up fanned that tail and out puffed those feathers. Gave me a good laugh.

Also have some funny pictures of my sight impaired hen, Budgie, airing out and harassing us. Love her, shes so funny. Got a good personality.

Attachments

• 20210723_171045.jpg
    20210723_171045.jpg
    824.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210723_171049.jpg
    20210723_171049.jpg
    871.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210723_171025.jpg
    20210723_171025.jpg
    892.8 KB · Views: 1
So it turns out that telling my two blue red bronze apart by their head markings only was a bad idea, because now as they are getting older and losing their head down I no longer can tell who is who. I forgot to look for any other identifying features like tail feathers or anything. This sucks lol. I'm going to have to wait until they both start developing I guess. Sometimes I can get the boy to "gobble" (I make a gobble noise / loud noise and he'll make a deep awkward chirp, or he'll just open his mouth like he's adjusting his crop) and then I can tell them apart, but sometimes he doesn't do it. He also is more prone to biting the heck out of my fingers, but I also know that isn't the most viable way either lol. At least the sweetgrass are all marked differently.

Gotcha, thanks! I'll probably order some next week.

We don't have an Orschelons, no, just Tractor Supply. NatureWise all flock is what I feed my adults/all our other birds though! I'm just looking for a little more protein then 20% to finish growing the kids out before I bump them down to the adult food eventually!
What about the naturewise meat bird then? That's what I feed my growing ducklings. I think it's 22%
Not a whole lot higher I guess but some.

Back
Top Bottom