A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I have no pin cherries here although they sure do resemble the Nanking Cherries that I do have.

I tried growing black cherries but none of them ever took. The Evans Balis on the other hand need picked and turned into pies and jam.
View attachment 2781653View attachment 2781654View attachment 2781655
the flathead cherries are ripe and a group of growers drove some to Billings so of course i bought 40$worth. There won't be enough to can by the time the kids get done in the next few days. Flathead cherries are really bings and ranier cherries grown in Flathead valley along Flathead lake, a really big natural lake. Not as big as the Great Lakes, but really big enough not to see the other side so it causes its own lake effect and allows fruits to grow that won't grow elsewhere in Montana. I usually just eat the rosehips I find, they have a delightfully almost citrus taste around a fuzzy middle. Have never gotten enough from my rugosa roses to make jelly, I just eat them as soon as i see them. I do make chokecherry jelly, wild plum jelly, wild plum conserves(for pork or chicken), canning broth, canning tomato mixtures ( we figured out a way to make italian spiced or mexican spiced, makes pasta sauces and chili super easy to crank out later), and of course butchering chickens and turkeys. there are wild sumac that are edible here, buffaloberry, black currants, and a few other seasonal wild and feral edibles around here. My parents taught me a lot about it because they both grew up around nature. My dad is an old cowboy.

Sudden explosion of turkey babies ???? Had no idea where they came from lol there was 2 white palms with a group of their own. Found a couple in a dog house and to my horror found a group out side stuck in the underbrush and not doing well. Brought these guys in to warm them up . this morning I turned them loose and they all went to the other group of baby turkeys and mommas.

Best group of momma Turkey's I've every had.
received_509367713506546.jpeg

Sudden explosion of turkey babies ???? Had no idea where they came from lol there was 2 white palms with a group of their own. Found a couple in a dog house and to my horror found a group out side stuck in the underbrush and not doing well. Brought these guys in to warm them up . this morning I turned them loose and they all went to the other group of baby turkeys and mommas.

View attachment 2784126
Good luck.

As far as White Palms, there is no such thing. If you have white turkeys that are descended from Royal Palms, the original father and mother must have been carrying the white (c) gene. The white ones would be (cc) making them white turkeys. Royal Palms are (cgcg) with the gray color gene.

View attachment 2784126
I believe I remember a post from you this spring about your turkeys 1st year laying and you was wondering if there small eggs would hatch. Looks like you got your answer and then some and then some more. Turkeys are so much fun to raise. Glad to see things are working out for you. Good Luck with your explosion.

Good luck.

As far as White Palms, there is no such thing. If you have white turkeys that are descended from Royal Palms, the original father and mother must have been carrying the white (c) gene. The white ones would be (cc) making them white turkeys. Royal Palms are (cgcg) with the gray color gene.
My bad. They royal palm mommas. Always forget the professional breed names. No idea what the babies are??????

Going to have to pull all the old boards off are fence asap and rebuild. One of my boys tried roosting on the fence and a board broke and I found him stock in the wire by one of his legs. No idea how long he was upside down.
Hope his leg is ok. I'm sure he was flopping around with leg stuck they are a heavy bird. Hopefully he didn't damage anything.

Going to have to pull all the old boards off are fence asap and rebuild. One of my boys tried roosting on the fence and a board broke and I found him stock in the wire by one of his legs. No idea how long he was upside down.

Hopefully he'll be ok! I've had this happen in the past but with the swing I have in the coop. It was a younger hen so it didn't take her long to heal up. She limped for a couple weeks.

Back
Top Bottom