1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A cheap and easy chicken feeder design

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chickenfortress, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/10123_chickenfortress_feeder3.gif

I hope I did that right. I'm new to posting images. I had some scrap 1x12 sitting around, and needed another feeder. This is the design I came up with to best utilize the materials I had. The birds seem to like it, so I thought I'd pass it on.

The link is a much cleaner pic, they resized the image on the post, and it lost a lot of readability.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  2. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, that's awesome!! I've been wanting to put something like that into my coop. Thanks for doing the hard work for me

Sonja

3. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Do you have a pic of what it looks like?

4. beerguzzler

beerguzzler Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    Houston TX
    Really good idea and super cheap if you have scrap laying around like I do. We sometimes head out of town for 5+ days and my PVC feeder will usually hold about 5 days worth so I require a friend to top it off. I'm gonna build this one in the coming weeks. I'll let you know how it turns out.

5. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    I made a couple very similar, they work like a charm. I wish I had made them slightly larger, they fit 45# of feed. 50# would have been perfect

6. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Chicks for better health, you could always add a hopper to the top. You could make the thing hold 100# for that matter. As for the pictures, I'll have to wait for it to empty and clean it a bit. Or, better yet, just make a new one for the pic.

7. gma_lisa

gma_lisa New Egg

Feb 9, 2009
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

PERFECT

Thanks for the great instructions!!

8. allisojo

allisojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2008
    Nuevo Mexico
    That's really nice of you to post this. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by