1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

a chic stuck in egg... help asap

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Brohnson, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Brohnson

Brohnson Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    I have a new quail that has cracked the egg around 3/4 of the way and it's been like that for 8 hours now... i can still see him moving but making no progress. Should I intervene or leave alone. All my levels are great in there as I have 4 new hatched chics in there now. Please advise with any advise. Thanks

2. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Have you been moistening the shell, protective skin? There is a video on YouTube by a Charlie Travino and vid is called Button Quail Chick stuck in egg...might give you some help?
    Sorry you have to go through the stress of worrying about the little guy.
    Best wishes for you both....

1 person likes this.
  3. Quailsong

Quailsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    At this point I'd assume he's stuck to the shell & help him out or accept it won't hatch on its own. Charlie is great for tuts so I second that recommendation.

Is that the last one to hatch? If not, I'd be careful about opening up the incubator. Maybe mist more water in there when you take that one out. You don't want to inadvertently shrink-wrap all the others who are preparing to hatch.

4. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Here is an article by Sally Sunshine that I think anyone who wants to hatch their own eggs should read before they hatch their own eggs.
    Nature has a way of sorting out the ones that aren't ready for this world.
    James

1 person likes this.
  5. byrongil

byrongil Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2014
    I had to help 2 of mine out in the last hatch and they are doing just fine about 8 weeks old now.

6. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Leave it alone. Quail can take 30 hours and sometimes more to exit the shell.

7. Brohnson

Brohnson Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    Update, it did not make it... [​IMG] Good news is I have had 3 more hatch and that gives me 7 so far and more have pipped so more to come I hope. I really do love my all blonde/yellow chic though.. I will post pic later and thanks for all the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by