A chick missing patches of feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ktdeluxe, Jul 31, 2014.

1. ktdeluxe

ktdeluxe In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2014
    Central OK
    My chicks are 6 weeks old so we're newbies. One of them we believe is a Golden Penciled Hamburg. He has 3 patches where he has no feather and I just spotted them today. I looked around the vent and didn't seen any mites. I isolated him from the others in case they were pecking him (he/she is the feistiest so that seems hard to believe). What do I do now? Should he be isolated alone or should I bring in the most timid chick to keep him company? I need any ideas anyone can offer!

2. coppertop2014

coppertop2014 Chirping

Mar 5, 2014
    Bend, Oregon
    My Coop
    Post a picture.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Its possible that he is just missing feathers because he's molting into a new set of feathers. Chicks around his age often look disheveled with bare spots because they are growing more feathers in.

4. Suzie

Suzie Crowing

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Chicks of that age should not be moulting...he is probably being pecked by others...best to isolate him with as you suggested a timid one for company...you will know in a few weeks if he starts regaining his feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: