A chick named Hope

Discussion in 'Quail' started by eHuman, Jun 6, 2016.

1. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    Or, I cooked my quail, now what?

The brooder is set up; water, feed, heat, check. I pick up 18 2-day old Coturnix chicks from a local breeder, 9 A&M, 9 Pharaoh and place them in their new home.

For heat I'm using a Brinsea Ecoglow 20 but temporarily ditched the legs in favor of using what I have on hand to get it properly spaced for the little ones. On one end I used a 3/4" diameter pipe (BAD move), on the other a piece of wood.

To the point. In the evening I give the brooder a once over (Not like there haven't been 5 faces glued to it all day) and see two very unresponsive feet sticking out of the 3/4" pipe. You know, the one directly in contact with the heater? Yeah that one. My heart sank and as I slid the little guy out he initially looked DOA. None of the babies running around looked like they could even fit in there.

I saw faint chest movements and my wife swooped him up and just loved on him. Lots of hand feeding and watering but couldn't lift it's head on its own. By the time we had to go to bed the little guy was pushing laps around the brooder literally, dragging the right side of it's head, not able to lift it. But was the most active bird in the box.

Next morning I go out to retrieve the dead guy and get rid of him before momma wakes up, but I can't tell which one it is. I had to wake my wife to tell her the good news but also for confirmation on which one it was. Ending up smaller than the rest, Hope (as my wife named it) is perfectly fine as far as we can tell, eating drinking and partying with the rest, everyone fine here on day 5.

I offered twice to put it down so it didn't have to suffer. It is the 1st time she has ever given me that look that in retrospect I'm glad she did.

Hope doesn't even have a limp or a cool scar to go with the story. He/she just should not have lived but refused to stop moving and trying. It is for this reason that Hope, whether male or female, is automatically off of the cull list and on the breeding program. Hope's traits are worthy of being passed down.

Pix will have to come another time.

1 person likes this.
  2. JoeFlyer7

JoeFlyer7 Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    What a beautiful story! I hope things continue to go in that quail's favor!

1 person likes this.
  3. eHuman

Mar 14, 2016
    Thank you.

I didn't expect him to last till the evening, let alone make it through the night, and not just make it but thriving like a boss. I can't speak for tomorrow but as of right now he and all of his buddies are doing great.

I think my tv got replaced by my brooder.

4. cutiechook1

cutiechook1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Sittin' at the computer!
    Wonderful story!

1 person likes this.
  5. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Hahaha awwww!!! Yes great story and well written, too :p

You're so right!! Tenacity is a great trait - I'm happy for Hope ^^

6. eHuman

Mar 14, 2016
    Looking this morning and she(?) is half the size of her largest hatch-mates, but elbows her way in to the feed and water in a matter-of-fact, git-out-my-way method that's pretty entertaining to watch.

Still being less than a week old, the practical side of me understands that though she has shown nothing but improvement, she is not out of the woods yet. But we will give her every chance possible. I keep saying her but... what am I going to do with a "bantam" cot roo?

I shouldn't worry about it. If she turns out to be a he, then I'm sure he'll find a way to get business done.
    Climbing a tall young chick should be no challenge for the little man with the tenacity that he has shown.

7. JoeFlyer7

JoeFlyer7 Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    ^^^ last bit there, LOL same. It would still probably be the case with me, but since I was sort of relaying the quail on to the farm I got the eggs from, I only had them for about two weeks. They are still at the farm now, coming up on a near month of age!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by