A Chick not Growing Much?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JenniferC, May 13, 2008.

1. JenniferC

JenniferC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    I have 2 blue cochins, both 2 weeks olds, and 1 is about 75% bigger than the other. The smaller of the two is not much bigger than my 1 week old brahma. She also feels kind've bony- but maybe that's my imagination.

Other than growing slowly, she seems to be fine. She's alert and active, no loud cheeping, no pasting up. She does spend more time under the lamp than my other chicks, I think. Maybe because she does not have as much fat or mass.

Oh, and she does not seem to be getting her feathers as fast as the others.

What gives? I'm not sure if I should be worried about her or not.

2. hobobrando

hobobrando Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Vermont
    I have the same problem the 2 chicks I have (br, and cochin) came from an original flock of 16. I thought mine were thriving they were running around, eating, and drinking. One day I went to look at the other 14 and they were all heavily feathered. Mine will be 4 weeks this thursday and they are just barely getting there tail feathers. My cochin dosn't even have all her wing feathers.

3. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    Same thing here. Two of my 3 week old RIRs are just now showing some signs of growing tail feathers. They're both eating, drinking, active and super curious about everything so I just figure they're "late bloomers" and will catch up.

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    same here i have a three+ week old banty cochin that wont grow much. He is a little bit larger than a standard day old chick now. the others are almost ready to got outside but he has to bo back to the brooder when my next batch hatches. Good luck with yours

5. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Just had to mention you are all newbies so........ [​IMG]

Yup some breeds are slower growers....[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I had 4 silkie chicks that were the same age and one seemed to not grow as fast. It kept getting pasty butt and no matter how many times we cleaned it, it would get it again. It finally died. I'm not sure what was wrong with it, but I figured it was not growing as fast because something was wrong with it.

7. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Hi~
    I have 2 week olds... at least that's when I count. From the time they arrived. So maybe 2 weeks and a few days. My chicks are all getting their tail feathers and wing feathers. All except my PBR bantams. They have tiny wing feathers.

I don't know about when or when not they have feathers...
    [​IMG]

8. JenniferC

JenniferC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    So, if any old hands are around- how often does slow growth mean that something is wrong- and how often is it just a late-blooming chicken?

The thing I find so odd, is that my other cochin- who I assume came from the same clutch- is enormous, and is much more feathered out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by