A chick we can't manage to cull? Happy news!!! Page 2

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gritsar, Feb 3, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    While I was still grieving over a chick that was damaged from hatch and just had to be culled....

On Tuesday morning I was working in the juvenile/broody coop. My broody with her three chicks wanted out of her crate for a bit. Since all the other birds in that coop were busy eating scratch, doing their own thing and since I was right there, I thought she'd be okay. Most of the other layer birds are already used to the chicks and give mama a wide berth. In a blink of an eye, before I could respond, one of the meaties attacked a chick. I don't think the meatie meant to do it; she doesn't see well and I think she mistook the chick for food.

The chick at first appeared paralyzed. I brought it in the house and put it in a bator to keep it warm, with the plan that DH would cull it when he got home from work. Things didn't go as planned. [​IMG]

By the time DH got home from work the chick had regained movement in his/her wings and legs. He still had severe balance issues, but DH was reluctant to cull it, so we decided to give it another day.

Yesterday, the chick did fine all day except that for the balance issues. If he tries to move too fast he ends up like a cockroach on his back, sqawling for someone to right him again. DH rigged up a little sling that I wear around my neck and that's where the chick stays while I have to be up and about, inside. I've been sick, so spending alot of time in bed. The chick is very content to sleep with me, snuggling in my hair and against my neck. He can't manage to stand stable enough to eat, so we rigged him another sling, a tiny one, that he wears while eating and drinking (once an hour during the day). He's really good about making his needs known. He'll stand in his little sling and eat and then turn towards the water dish to let me know he's ready for something to drink. Like a little puppet, I help him walk to the water dish. When I have to go outside to deal with the rest of the chickens the little one goes back in his bator, to snuggle with his rice sock. He sleeps all night in the bator and is happy until I get up and tend to him in the AM.

The little one is already attached to us and us to him, preferring to be either in my lap under a towel or asleep on DH's chest. He can be in bator and totally fine, not overturned or anything and he'll start squawling. The minute he sees me he'll shut up and do his best to climb up to me. Even with his balance problem he is very determined to go where he wants to go.

So, last night the plan was that DH would cull him when he came in from work and again, the best laid plans of mice and men...

By all appearances this chick looks like a healthy 6 day old chick - already getting wing feathers and a cute little bunch of tailfeathers. Bright eyed, active, with normal droppings. Only problem is the balance/coordination.

So, do we now have a house chicken? We keep hoping that his balance will return and it does seem to be getting a little better, day by day.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    So I'm not the only one this nuts? I had the same issue this summer- non-broody swiftly pecked a baby so hard it was unconscious for 10 minutes. It took hours before we decided it wasn't going to die from head trauma.

It took ours about a week and it was normal again, but by then, it couldn't go back to Mama, so we raised it inside. Fortunately, I always have dozens of chicks at 3 or 4 different growth stages in different brooders, so I lost track of who it was as it grew out...I need to be attached like that to another chick like I need another hole in my head...

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I like to believe that "Time heals all wounds." I don't want to predict "house chicken" yet, because as it improves, it may be able to go back outside. And I do predict it will get better.

Meanwhile, ChickieMomma, < *snort* >, enjoy the little bugger. I'm rooting for it with ya! [​IMG]

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Go Rowdy! [​IMG]
    I'm so glad you've given him a chance, Kat(oh and I'm glad your DH is a softie)!
    He may be just fine and able to move in with the flock once it gets warmer. If not, don't you have a "hadicapable" hen? Can't they be coop buddies?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:DH's older daughter came over this morning - I'm took sick to clean house, but need a clean house for my mental health so we offered to pay her - she had to steady herself to keep from fainting when she walked in. The sight of her gruff ol' dad, sleeping in his recliner with a chick on his chest, was just too much for her to take in. [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Take a picture for black mail.[​IMG] I'm sitting here with a big smile as I visualize the scene.

7. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:DH's older daughter came over this morning - I'm took sick to clean house, but need a clean house for my mental health so we offered to pay her - she had to steady herself to keep from fainting when she walked in. The sight of her gruff ol' dad, sleeping in his recliner with a chick on his chest, was just too much for her to take in. [​IMG]

Awwww [​IMG]

I would not be able to cull him either. [​IMG] Maybe some Poly-vi-sol without iron would help him heal quicker?

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I was very tempted to, but I value my life [​IMG]

Easttx, Lil'Bit was my handicapped chicken. She was taken by a hawk.

I didn't think of the poly-vi-sol, Horsey! Great idea! I plan to make a trip to town tomorrow to pick up some supplies, perhaps a critter cage...after all, he can't stay in the bator forever. [​IMG]

Chooks, thanks for the encouragement. [​IMG] I was already nuts before this chick came along; now I'm pulling DH down with me.

9. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:You were not nuts - just Chicken Crazy like us all [​IMG]

I just knew once you started hatching, that your DH would be like mine and fall in love with the fluffy bitties too. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chicks - little birds with mighty powers. [​IMG]

I am sorry your feeling poorly and hope those meds kick in and help perk you up soon. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks Horsey! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by