A chicken adopted me

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AnimalChick329, Mar 9, 2017.

1. AnimalChick329

AnimalChick329 Just Hatched

Mar 9, 2017
    Arizona
    Hi!
    This looks like a great group with a lot of knowledgable chicken keepers! I grew up in Mississippi and we had chickens, cows, pigs and such but now I live in the suburbs of Phoenix Arizona and haven't had chickens in well over 30 years.

Last October (2016) a "bird" showed up in our neighborhood and frankly... we had no idea what kind it was, it looked like an ugly, oversized roadrunner. As it pecked around and sprouted new feathers and such we realized it was a chicken, but it only clucked if you tried to get close to it. Several people tried catching it to no avail and it's sort of just free ranged around everyones yard.

I have no idea what kind of hen it is but I know it's a hen because it started laying eggs. The eggs so far have been peach, white and a pale blue... so pale it almost looks white.

I've been looking around for answers because suddenly she was dropping a wing and staggering around. I was afraid a cat got her but there were no wounds or lost feathers. She is no longer walking and she opens her beak over and over like she wants to make a sound but nothing comes out. I have no idea what to do with her.

I'm an SAHM, artist and soap maker. I grew up on a farm but I don't remember anything like this with out chickens, if it happened my parents must have just dealt with it.

I'm married w/2 teens that are very, very active. We have a Pitbull/ Boxer mix and a German Shepherd/Lab mix as well as a cat. We adopt all of our animals or they just show up on our door step... like the chicken did. :)

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    If you want to know the breed you could post a picture or two and I am positive people on here, including me can help solve that :)
    As far as the injury, thankfully personally I have been lucky with very VERY few injuries in my flock but if you can grab her it sounds like she might need medical attention or at least some hands on care, it could be a broken bone or wing or maybe something simple like a cold, its hard to tell with birds especially when its not your own ;)

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC! Hi, neighbor! I'm in Arizona too, and I hope that you can find out what breed that your adopted hen is. It might help if you posted a couple of good pictures of her.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under AnimalChick329 [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope your adopted feather baby is OK! May be she is the chicken equivalent of the Littlest Hobo [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I hope the homeless girl will be ok. The ER forum redsoxs gave you the link to should be helpful in figuring out what to do for her.

Best of luck!

8. micah wotring

micah wotring Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    Welcome to BYC! This is THE place to be for anything and everything poultry related...
    Whether you're looking for help, info, insight, poultry breeders, ideas, or just friends, you've come to the right place!

Anyway, great to have ya here!

Make it a great day!

[​IMG]
    ~MW

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I hope she didn't eat moldy food (that can kill them) or got poisoned by something she found. I hope she will be alright.

10. AnimalChick329

AnimalChick329 Just Hatched

Mar 9, 2017
    Arizona
    Thanks for the link! I will try asking them about this. She seems a tiny bit stronger but I'm not sure that isn't wishful thinking on my part. I'll post up some photos and maybe we can figure out what kind of hen she is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by