A chicken hawk!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by yodercountrygirl, Oct 20, 2009.

1. yodercountrygirl

yodercountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]:hit A hawk got one of my chickens!!!! My Jap bantamn hen [​IMG] [​IMG] Now my rooster who is also a Jap Bant is going to be lonely!!!! [​IMG]

We have been letting them into our yard to save what little grass is left in their yard, so they were free ranging. [​IMG] Their run is not covered, its too big to cover. Hopefully we will get rid of the hawk soon.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm so sorry about your loss. [​IMG] I hate when things like this happens. [​IMG] The poor roo, now his girl is gone. [​IMG] Did the hawk get into your coop and run, or were they free ranging at the time? I hope you can remedy this, so it doesn't happen to you again. Best of luck. [​IMG]

3. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    We have been fighting hawks but fortunately have had no losses. My husband decided my run was too big for netting so he strung lot of string. It appears to be working.
    [​IMG]

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

5. Atlchick

Atlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Grayson, GA
    We were lucky to find some old batting cage netting a high school was throwing away. We draped several across our pens and hold them up high with small wooden stakes. No more hits from the hawks. We've seen a couple of them eye-balling the nets, but since there's no way in - they give up. Maybe you could check around for something like that

6. Atlchick

Atlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Grayson, GA
    Oh - and 'deer netting' is pretty inexpensive and would work better then nothing. It's about 8' wide so you could string some side-by-side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by