a chicken laying 5 eggs a day?

DozhierChicks

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 1, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
So today 2 (we think) of our chickens started laying.
We have:
- 1 silver laced wyandotte
- 3 easter eggers
- 1 cinnaman queen
- 1 buff orpington

We think the Buff orpington layed 2 because they were a light brown. We also think our cinnaman queen started laying ( we acctually saw her lay an egg) but we got 5 eggs that looked like she layed. So we were wondering if its possible that an cinnaman queen can lay 5 eggs in less than 24 hours or do you think one of the other chickens layed it?

Last edited:
Well Silver Laced Wyandottes, Buff Orpingtons, and Cinnamon Queens lay brown to dark brown eggs. And depending from where you got your Araucanas they could be Easter Eggers, and because Easter Eggers are mix breeds some do lay brown and white eggs.

I'm about 99.9% sure that the other hens must have eggs that look similar to the cinnamon. I've never heard of a hen laying that much in such a short time, but I could be wrong! If she is indeed laying that much though it isn't good for her. Overlaying can cause egg binding in many birds.

If she is indeed laying all of those...I'd suggest contacting Guinness World Records!
wink.png

Multiple hens are laying. Those brown layers all lay similar colored eggs, and the shade of each egg can vary a bit, especially in new layers whose bodies are still learning about making eggs.

Thank you for responding. My 13 year old posted the question. We were both shocked to wake up to 6 eggs when there were none yesterday. I am sure it's more than one, probably at least 3 of them laying. How funny that they all started laying at the
same time! An exciting day though. Guess we will start them on layer pellets now and set out oyster shell and baked egg shells.

Back
Top Bottom