1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A chicken laying unformed eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pcut, Jan 3, 2009.

1. pcut

pcut New Egg

Jan 3, 2009
    I have three chooks about 1 year old. They were laying nice big eggs, one each per day, then we started to get two eggs and a puddle of fluid. I don't know which hen has the problem.
    Does anyone know what might be wrong and what to do for it.

Cheers

2. SharonX

SharonX Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If that is a new layer hen, then that is common on the first lay or two. Make sure they are getting some "layer mash" or "layer pellets" (has calcium and other minerals for making shells) as well as their free range greens and bugs, also some oyster shell on the side that they can eat at will.

3. missk

missk New Egg

Jun 2, 2013
    Cheshire , United Kingdom
    I have just seen my relatively new layer, Joni, lay an unformed egg.... She and the other two hens then proceeded to eat it! I'm sure it was full of goodness but I'm worried I may not be giving them what they need! I'm currently feeding them layers pellets, corn and oyster grit... Also scraps of things I think they might find tasty.... What do you think folks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by