A Chicken Love Story....Gypsy and Zane

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Dec 10, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My black Ameraucana hen, Gypsy, is in love with Zane. She runs with the main laying flock, is mated by Dutch and Mace, Zane's brothers, but this is where I find her all the time. She adores Zane, always has. And I think he likes the company. It's very wet today so he couldnt go outside (pardon her bare neck, she's molting still) Whatcha bet I find her egg up there today? Her mama, Charlotte, my older blue Ameraucana hen, is in the pen below Zane as you can see in the last pic. She is almost naked from her molt and somehow, she managed to tear off a toenail and bleed all over. Had to rebandage her toe today and she's in there so she can stay warm and not walk in the wet mud with her bandage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Awwww, what a sweet little hen! I think it's so cute that she keeps him company. [​IMG]

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I think I see a natural friendship there - a companionable mutual admiration society there. Nothing like it...

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Awww, what a smart hen! She knows a good looking guy when she sees one. I bet she will make a great mother....one day. Very compassionate.

5. speckledhen

She did it! She laid her pretty blue egg in that makeshift nest beside her Zaners. I bet he was happy for her company for the hour or more she was in with him.

6. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    [​IMG] So sweet! [​IMG]

7. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    That is so sweet. I just love chickens.

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Aww, they are too cute together! Could she be put into Zane's pen with him, or would he get too excited and maybe hurt himself?

9. speckledhen

I have put her in there. She just eats all his food, LOL. And he grabs her, trying to mate. Sometimes, she'll squat but lately, she doesn't want her binge interrupted.

10. c.wilson

c.wilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    thats sweet...i can see why gypsy loves zane so much...she knows a pretty man when she sees one...he is beautiful...are u gonna keep us updated on this chicken love story or are you dont writing....i would love to hear more and see some more pics of them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by