A chicken newby in Eastern Virginia. Advice welcome!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by thinkingaboutchickens, Jun 30, 2010.

1. I am picking my first three chickens up in FOUR HOURS!!! I have never had chickens before, so this is all academic at this point.

I am getting three Production Red hens...not sure of their age, they're free and healthy so I'm not complaining. I want to add different varieties of hens eventually, but I want to start with a small flock and work my way up. I know it can be very easy to suddenly find yourself with 20 or 30 chickens before you know it!

I found BYC on Google when I started researching chicken tractors and chicken care. This site seems so friendly and open, so I decided to join.

I love to garden: both vegetables and flowers. I like reading, kayaking, swimming, and cooking.

I have a husband (been married 21 years), two kids, a foreign exchange student (but she's leaving in 7 days, BIG TEARS), a pug dog, and three cats.

Advice is welcome.
    I will be housing the hens in a 14' X 4' chicken tractor. 6' of the tractor is under roof for shade and protection from rain. (The tractor is actually two pieces; a 4' X 8' X4' run, and a 4' X 6' X 6' coop and roosts over a run.)

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Welcome to BYC. Congratulations on your new girls.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Is your coop area enclosed to keep out inclement or cold weather?

Welcome to BYC, BTW!

4. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome Eastern Virginia from Northern Virginia! Congratulations on your new chickens!

5. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Hello from central VA, and [​IMG]

I think your space sounds good - plenty of room for your three girls.

I know you'll love both your new chickens and the community here on BYC!

6. hongyush2008

hongyush2008 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    shenzhen
    Quote:Yeach,you will love this forum too. Sllina here,i am from China.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by