a chicken no-brainer

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Ravishaw, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    I got home last night and found 2 hens and 2 pullets in the coop. Where were the other 11 hens and the missing pullet?

They climbed up on top of my coop to roost for the night of course.

Someone closed and latched the door so they couldn't get into the coop yesterday afternoon. So when I got home, I found them all up on top of the coop content, warm and happy.

I was relieved but at the same time wondering how in the heck they got up there. Then I saw it. I had made them a ladder to help them get to the perches before I lowered them. They had always ignored the ladder, but last night had used it to get to the roof of my coop. Little boogers. Actually my rooster was on the ground. My "barbara" had parked her fuzzy patooty on top of the ladder and wasn't moving.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Heheheheee. Sometimes it just amazes me to think of their possible thought processes.

I get home after dark now, so I fill feeders after they all have roosted in their coops. And in the mornings, too, topping them off either time. Feeders are in the run, or in the attached pens to various coops.

Well, apparently the 3 Lav Orps and 3 bantam Cochins who bunk in the coop closest to the house (backed up to one side of the back porch) had eaten all their feed, or been helped by others so their feeder was empty. (Everybody free ranges, so there is some coop hopping during the day.)

5 of those 6 chickens were roosting on the porch railing directly over their coop. One Cochin cockerel was in the coop on the roost bar all by himself. I turned on the porch light and the five on the porch railing stirred and began to complain to me. Once their feeder was refilled, they got down, entered their pen and began to eat....

At first I thought they were up there because something bad had happened to frighten them, to scare them out of the open coop, but the little guy inside was fine. It had to be the "hungries" that caused it, as far as I can tell!

3. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Quote:lolz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by