1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A chicken who likes to sleep on top of the coop...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NancyS, Nov 14, 2011.

1. NancyS

NancyS New Egg

Jun 16, 2011
    Our chicken (Snuggles) thinks it's much better to sleep on top of the coop at night instead of in it. The others put themselves to bed, but she gets on top. I have put chicken wire up there to discourage her, mostly because we had a cat visitor the other day. I think Snuggles pecked the cat because all we heard was a terrible cat YOWL, and my husband saw a cat run down the side of the coop. Snuggles wasn't even ruffled up at all. But I don't want to take any chances and she just sits on top of the chicken wire! Are there any suggestions on what I can put on top of my A frame coop to discourage her?

2. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    Im not really sure what you could put on top of your coop. But have you tried putting snuggles in the coop every night and closing it so she can't sneek up onto the top of the coop. It might take her a couple weeks to get the hint but usually that will correct the habit.

3. GramaCindy

GramaCindy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    Far NW Wisconsin
    It sounds to me like "Snuggles" has decided that she is the "watchdog"[​IMG]

4. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    There's also the "whomever roosts the highest is top chicken in the flock", so maybe she feels that since she's outside and on top she's the boss overall? We had a few that would do this. Two weeks locked in the coop day and night fixed it. They all now go inside like they should and fuss over the roosting bars.

5. NancyS

NancyS New Egg

Jun 16, 2011
    Thanks for the input! I do put her in the coop every night and she isn't a big fan of it. She's actually the smallest chicken and the one that gets picked on the most. Also the friendliest to our family. I wonder if they have selected her low hen on the totem pole and gave her the watchdog job?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by