1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A chicken with a huge crop!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Laurie3060, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Laurie3060

Laurie3060 New Egg

Jan 27, 2016
    Oxfordshire, England
    Hi All,
    So I have a 4 year old black rock hen who has always been an "odd one" her toes are all bent and not straight and she does this weird thing where she jurks and moves her neck suddenly- it's really weird. But the main thing is she has a massive crop (about the size of a large tennis ball) also her feathers haven't grown over it so it is bald and you can see the skin. It wobbles when she walks. The weird thing is that she doesn't eat an unusual amount and no more than my other normal sized hens! If anything she eats less than them because she gets pushed around by them and is near the bottom of the pecking order. What could this be? What can I do to help her? Is this serious?
    Thanks.

2. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Is it hard? If it is, it sounds like a crop impaction.

3. Laurie3060

Laurie3060 New Egg

Jan 27, 2016
    Oxfordshire, England
    No its kind of squidgy, is a crop impaction serious? What should I do? @CochinLover1

4. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    It is a little different for each bird, I would recommend doing some research online, to see if that is what she has.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  5. Laurie3060

Laurie3060 New Egg

Jan 27, 2016
    Oxfordshire, England
    okay thanks @CochinLover1

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by