A chicken with purple feet??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mandie2281, Apr 28, 2008.

1. mandie2281

mandie2281 New Egg

Apr 13, 2008
    Is it normal for a chicken to have purplish/blue feet? One of my yellow chicks has purplish/blue feet and is acting fine. I just wondered if it was something to worry about or if it was normal. Please help, thank you. BTW, she is about 4 weeks old, and is yellow.

2. ascott1978

ascott1978 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    Feet come in many colors. Aracuanas even have a greenish colored foot.

3. nutz4critters

nutz4critters Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    NW Alabama
    I'm no expert, but I think it would help if you could post a picture.

Has the chick always had purplish feet or is this a new development? I know some breeds of chickens have dark legs, but they usually always have dark legs.

If it's running around and eating/drinking/pooing normally, I'd guess it was just a color change due to its breed. Any guess as to what breed it is? There are a lot of them that have yellow chicks. [​IMG]

Sorry I'm not more help.

4. mandie2281

mandie2281 New Egg

Apr 13, 2008
    hehehe, I guess there are a lot of yellow chicks out there! She didn't have purpleish/blue feet when I first got her. They have just changed pretty quickly. I am not sure what kind of chick she is, I just know that she is a banty (small breed), I think that is the right word... geeze, I really need to learn more about chicks. She seems to have lower feathers that match with her feet. I just really noticed it today, they are really purple/blue. I would send a pic but I am not sure how to do that. Plus I have little ones running in and out of the house, hehe.

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
  6. Newburnchicks

Newburnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2016
    Also just noticed my white leghorns(3wks old) have a dark purplish legs I have been keeping pop door open so they can go out in fenced/ enclosed area and it's been 60 degrees. Wander if that is the cause. Inside area is kept warm with red 250 watt light on if they need it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by