A chicken with seizures?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by red horse ranch, Mar 9, 2014.

1. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    My 4 year old rooster has been losing coordination for the last year. Several times lately I have found him laying down and unable to get back on his feet. He walks fine once I stand him up.
    Last night I found him laying on his side, feet kicking, eyes closed and what looked like death on his face. I stroked his side and he laid still. I was ready to go get the shovel and bury him when all of a sudden he lifted his head like he had just woke up. I set him on his feet and he walked normally back into the coop.
    I realize I will probably lose him but I am curious what his problem could be?[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I just want to be sure that he wasn't dust bathing when you found him. If not, he does have some interesting symptoms. Mareks disease can cause neurological problems with coordination and leg weakness, but unless you have added new birds or moved, I would think he would have shown these symptoms earlier if it were that. I would make sure that he is getting some poultry vitamins in his water, and a balanced 16-20% feed. Post again if you see more symptoms or have a video.

3. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    No, he wasn't dust bathing. I've lost enough chickens to recognize death on their face and I was a little shocked when he 'came back to life'.
    It is a good idea about putting the vitamins in his water. Don't know why I didn't think of it since I do it for my breeding stock. He eats layer crumbles like the hens do. This guy was my head rooster until he started not being able to get up on the perch at night. Now I have to keep him in a separate area to protect him from the younger roosters. I've seen him trying to breed recently and he just falls off of the hen before accomplishing anything.
    I always thought Mareks was a disease that affected young chickens. I've gone thru my Chicken Health Handbook and I can't find anything that resembles his problem. I've had hundreds of chickens here over the years and I haven't seen this before. But I guess if you keep livestock long enough you'll see it all. Thanks for your reply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by