1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A chickenny puzzle now solved....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mally1975, Mar 8, 2016.

1. mally1975

mally1975 New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    Just to set the scene... I have 17 chickens - four beautiful roos and 13 clucky hens (mixed breeds - Silkies, Frizzles, Pekins, Wyandottes).. We were blessed with the arrival of three chickenny babies in December (the girls hid the eggs!), we knew we'd need to check the coop and fencing - just to make sure there were no baby sized gaps.. We duly did this on a cold and frosty February morning - we raised the height of the fences as a couple of the Wyandottes were beginning to realise they could just 'hop' over the top.. After some time and much work, we had a nice, secure area for our new babies and flock.. Cracked it, we thought... Ha ha ha...

As the chickens are now safe, when we're home - we can release the 'beasties' into their new play area.. My part-time house chicken (Boo) and her partner in crime (Nut) were among the first to explore their new area with interest.. A few weeks down the line, I pop outside to check on the chooks and Boo is sat on the lawn outside the fenced area.. Bit odd, I think, so I return her to the coop, I check the top netting and all the fences but no chickenny sized holes or gaps!!!.. A few hours later, I hear a 'peck, peck' on the door - opening it, I find Boo and Nut sat on the doorstep.. Ok this is wierd now or I'm going mad as I know I put her in the coop - I duly returned them both to the coop.. The same thing happens for at least a week or two with these feathered magicians, either on the lawn or on the step - no holes and no way they could fly over the fences because of the netting and everything's secure.. We were completely puzzled and then just by chance one day, I caught sight of what was happening and I really wish I recorded it!!!...

Boo was 'clucking or talking' to somehow call the dog!!.. It looked like Boo was offering a food bribe from the chicken side of the fence to our dog.. All the dog then did was lean against the fence to create a gap just large enough for the two chooks to escape - easy for a dog but not within chickenny strength.. I have sooo many questions about this, how did she train the....?, why would she... ? but mainly it's what the...?...

I have never seen a chicken-trained dog ever before!!.. Here's a pic of my little bugger-lugs, Boo... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. potato chip

potato chip Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oh, that's priceless. I can just envisage it. The chooks are just lucky the dog wasn't letting them out so he could chase them about.

3. Monguire

Monguire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2014
    Manassas, VA
    That is an AWESOME story! Thanks for sharing...had me giggling like a schoolgirl as I picture Boo "training" the pooch! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by