A chooks life... with added sunbaking chooks

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by jnine, Jan 8, 2010.

1. jnine

jnine Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    The Great South East
    It's been the first really sunny day here for a few weeks and the chooks decided to seek sanctuary in their favourite spot in the garden, and I just had to take a photo. Neither are laying yet, but the change in their combs over the last two weeks has been very dramatic - hopefully eggs are not far away!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the chook house that we built for them last weekend, still need to put in a proper roost and remount the automatic feeder and fix a few other bits & pieces, but they now have lots of space when they are locked in during the day when we are at work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another visitor to my yard this morning [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    They look so content. Your other visitor was beautiful! What kind of bird is it?

3. jnine

jnine Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    The Great South East
    The chooks look cute like that, not so cute when they eat the plants in my garden - but their cute moments make up for it!

The parrot is a pale-headed rosella and we have a pair that lives close by. They tried to nest in my letterbox about six months ago, before giving up on trying to fit through the mail slot!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale-headed_Rosella

Here are a few more visitors, the pink bird is a Galah, the other is a rainbow lorikeet. We are so lucky to have them visit - but they can be very noisy! I've planted more native food trees to attract them more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Your birds are beautiful and so lucky to have that nice big coop for just the 2 of them.
    Beautiful visitor as well.

5. jnine

jnine Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    The Great South East
    Just when I though they couldn't get any more relaxed, they start sunbaking and dozing off.....[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now we have a bigger shed, we may get one or two more littlies for our small a-frame coop to eventually go into the big shed.

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    That picture is priceless! You DEFINITELY should get more chickens(I have 36 and want more!). [​IMG]

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Your pics are fabulous! [​IMG] Your girls are very happy, just look at them!! Those parrots, how gorgeous is that!! [​IMG] Thanks for sharing all those pics with us!

8. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll start off by saying [​IMG] Jnine! And then I'll warn you that I'm always full of nosey questions! [​IMG] First question: What are the breeds of your two lovely girls. The white and black one looks a lot like a Light Brahma. Is she a full sized breed or a bantam?

Next question: By referring to your location as "The Great South East" are you talking about Australia? I ask because I've never seen the likes of your little visitors running around loose anywhere in Florida or the Gulf Coast of the United States! One just has to assume you're in Aussie land! [​IMG] Beautiful creatures! I wish we had such colorful visitors to our feeders around here! [​IMG]

Thanks for sharing pics of your little ladies. They look so relaxed and happy! I sure wish my girls could be enjoying a nice warm sunny day like that! But it's c-c-c-c-coooolddd here right now! No sunbathing for them I'm afraid! If they sat anywhere outside that long, they'd likely freeze to the ground! [​IMG]

9. jnine

jnine Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    The Great South East
    Thanks [​IMG]

I'm in South East Qld, Australia - sub tropical. It's around 30 deg C here during the day, and about 25 C at night - nice, but very humid. The hen house is partly open at the front and sides for airflow, and under some shady trees to keep them cool. It doesn't get that cold here in winter either, but I can always put the panels back on or add shadecloth for the cooler months to keep them comfy.

The brown one is a RIR, maybe crossed with something i'm not sure of. The white is most probably a sussex crossed with a wyandotte - not exactly sure! It's safe to say that neither are purebreads! [​IMG] We got them as pets with benefits (although the small oval-shaped benefits are yet to arrive)

They are both full sized, and about 22 weeks old, give or take.

We went and got another two today (couldn't help ourselves), which are around 12 weeks. They look a little like barred-rocks, except one is a grey/gold colour. Will take some photo's in the morning and post them up.

10. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Lovely pictures and [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by