A Chukar in my neighbor's field!

farrier!

Songster
10 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Southern Illinois
Early this morning I heard a noise and looked over to be surprised at seeing a Chukar running around my neighbor's pasture. I think my daughter must have lost one a week or two ago and did not tell me.
Any suggestion on getting it back. I think enjoying it out there is about all I will be able to do....

I don't know if this will work on chukars,but you need a trap designed like a lobster trap.The funnel has to point upwards so it can't jump back out.Keep 1/2 of the trap completely enclosed,place another chukar in the enclosed side and hopefully the escapy will run into the funnel and trap him/herself.
This works great with bobwhites,but not sure on chukars.I certainly will not hurt to try.
In N.H.,Tony.

well, I never saw one before or anywhere else around here. My daughter will be back Saturday. Maybe I can get answer from her then....

There are no wild Chukar in Il. You can make a call back pen and yours shoul call him in, google quail call back pen and I am sure you will find some pictures (like described above with a funnel) you will have to make it bigger though. Good luck!

Quote:
Know for a fact here in Ohio they are, better not get caught trying to trap one either, Illegal . They even have a hunting season for them. Not sure about IL ,but not far Ohio.

Check you laws in IL. may not be able to trap them.

Quote:
HMMM, NEED AN EXPLAINATION HERE.... BECAUSE I HAVE MADE 2 TRIPS TO ILLINOIS TO HUNT CHUKAR. MACEDONIA AND MT ERIE (? SPELLING ON THOSE..) AND JUST FOR CLARIFICATION I DID HARVEST BIRDS ON BOTH TRIPS (BECAUSE YOU CAN HUNT FOR ANYTHING ANYWHERE, BUT IF ITS NOT THERE YOU WONT KILL ANY)
smile.png

Well, looked at ohio regs http://www.dnr.ohio.gov/wildlife/dow/regulations/seasons.aspx, can't find a season for chukar haven't made it to illinois yet. But google chukar, they are plentiful in the western state, I haven't ever seen one (yes, we do have them around because we release many for training and testing of dogs, I don't consider this a wild population)east of western CO and very few there, Utah, Washington, Oregon, Nevavda (I travel extensivlely to hunt many species). I have quite a few freinds that live in IL, none has ever seen a wild chukar, they travel to IA or SD or ND to hunt as there are very few upland birds to be had there at all. Again not saying there aren't any, just not considered by many to be a wild population.

Back
Top Bottom