A Clean Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JakRat, Jul 14, 2011.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    How do you keep yours clean?

We are on our second batch of chicks. Our other 5 girls stopped laying after 2 years so they went to a friends place but ANYWAY! Our last girls we had a hard time keeping their coop clean. They never roosted, they sat and looked out the bottom of their second floor (A frame coop with chicken wired bottom). The coop floor was just the ground we covered in landscape fabric and chicken wire. Should we maybe switch over to placing wood on the floor???

2. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    You could try putting them on the roost a few nights in a row after they fall asleep and see if they get the hang of it.

3. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    My set up is:

8x8 converted shed ( wood floor with linoleum installed on it and 6 inches up the wall )
    Roosts x 2 @ 42 inches long and 33 inches off the floor ( they only use one [​IMG] )
    Poop boards 12 inches below the roosts ( also covered in linoleum )
    2 nest boxes 15 inches wide and 18 inches high and 18 inches deep mounted 6 inches off the floor

I am using pine shavings on the floor 4 inches deep and on the poop boards.
    I only have 6 chickens. They are about 12 weeks old and have been in the coop since around fathers day.
    Cleaning:
    I scrape the poop boards once a day into a bucket ( compost pile for that ) and change all the pine on the floor once a week.
    So far no odors and not much work. [​IMG]

4. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

5. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    I am thinking I like the sand idea since the pine makes for a disposal need.

I set my coop up so that we can switch over in the future. LOL silly that I bought 4 huge bags of the pine when they were in the brooder still.

6. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Sounds great! We used sand in a little box for them to dust in, but they werent that interested. It was the play sand though, so maybe we will try the coarser sand. Thanks!!

7. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I put a plastic lid under the perch. in the morning I clean it.

Works wonders, and leaves the coop always smelling of sweet hay. [​IMG]

8. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:My chicks are not a big fan of the sand. It is pretty hilarious, they dont like walking on it for some reason. I think that today I will add some pine shavings to it and just use the sand as the base and still use the siffter to clean up [​IMG].

9. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I have tried all the above and for me its sand on the poop board that I can scoop, sift to clean with some stall dry mixed in it. In the floor I have wood, linoleum and pine shavings mixed with stall dry added. My coop is much cleanner smelling now. It requires less time to clean up. If I could figure a way to clean the bigger areas of sand with a long handle I would put it all in sand inside on the linoleum but so far I have not seen anything that would sift that large an area for me. Someone needs to invent something for us. Rakes are too wide between the staves and have no catching power. Kitty litter scoops have to wide of spaces and lets too much through. Gloria Jean

10. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:I compost the pine bedding. It makes good mulch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by