A close friend, a house fire, and 5 Isa Brown hens.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shelleyb1969, Jul 17, 2010.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

A very dear friend of mine lost her home to a house fire this past week. She and her family of 4 teenagers (she has 6 total, but 2 are adults) are now picking up the pieces and trying to move on. Before the fire, she had asked me to take her 5 Isa Brown hens because she no longer (after 2 years) had time to take care of them properly. She has recently opened her own restaurant and is rarely at home anymore...she even has 3 of her kids working for her. [​IMG]

My question is this. These 5 hens are 2 years old and have consistently layed 4-5 eggs per day YEAR ROUND...even here in Michigan. How much longer will these hens continue to lay this well? I was expecting them to slow down at 2 years...am I right?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They usually begin to slow down sometime after the second year, but they are also very prone to internal laying and egg peritonitis, being high production types.

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    They should slow down a little at about 3 years old. At 4-5 years old the drop in egg production can be dramatic. The birds that are breed specifically for laying seem to work this way.

Matt

4. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I sure hope they keep it up for me for a while longer. These hens lay the biggest eggs I've ever seen...EVER! I honestly don't know how they manage it. And they're meaty girls, too. When I picked them up to put them in the carrier for the move, I was amazed at how heavy they are. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by