A COCKATOO'S DREAM COME TRUE!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BirdaMay, Jun 8, 2016.

1. BirdaMay

BirdaMay Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2016
    Loveland, CO
    Hello everyone!

Today is day 15 of incubation of our first little brood of eggs!

My 20 year old umbrella cockatoo, Birda So-Cute, has been yearning all her life to hatch eggs, and for over a decade, I've wanted to try letting her hatch chicken eggs. Well, this year, we decided to do it!

I'd lost a pet parrot before due to egg binding, so I thought if I gave her fertile chicken eggs to hatch, she wouldn't lay her own but still be emotionally and hormonally satisfied, we could start a little laying flock, and she would be safe from the dangers of laying. Win-Win!

A sweet and generous local lady gave us a Milles Fleur d'Uccles egg, a buff cochin egg, and a blue Ameraucana egg. She'd never seen her rooster mate the d'Uccles hen, so that was a roll of the dice that turned up an empty egg, which I pulled, but the other two are looking right on schedule, though I can't see at all through the blue egg, so I'm ordering a candler soon, and an incubator and brooder are already en route in case of unforeseen events, but I figured it was a worthy investment, because I am now planning to let her set every year. I've never seen her so happy!

Birda and I live in northern Colorado with 3 cats. Because of space, we aren't planning on keeping these two chicks, but in the future we hope to end up with a Milles Fleur and a white silkie pullet who may be able to live with Birda in her cage. I am home all the time, so they will be out in the house mostly, but I'm also looking into building a coop and run big enough to also add a Polish bantam and Serama bantam to the mix. I've already got a great coop and tractor design in mind, and then there is always a great one I found online, but we'll have to save for that or sell a lot of cockatoo-incubated eggs!

If this works well for Birda and the word gets out, it could save hundreds of pet parrots' lives and get many more Americans and people everywhere re-connected with the joys and rewards of backyard chicken-keeping and egg-producing! This would, in turn, lead to a healthier America and a healthier world, not to mention a better quality of life for chickens worldwide and a decline in the abhorrent conditions of large-scale chicken farming. WIN-WIN!

Well, thanks for having this community resource available.

We are looking forward to learning a lot and sharing our dream come true with you!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] This is a very interesting incubation project! Please keep us posted.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG] - glad that you have joined us - please let us know how things go.

Best wishes
    CT

4. BirdaMay

Jun 8, 2016
    Loveland, CO
    Will do. Thank you so much! Yes. I think it's the most fun ans extraordinary undertaking of my life! So happy to share it with the chicken and parrot world!

5. BirdaMay

Jun 8, 2016
    Loveland, CO
    Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I will keep you all posted!

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You are most welcome [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What a neat experiment. Will she be able to cover 2 small eggs? Sending good hatching vibes your way.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  8. BirdaMay

Jun 8, 2016
    Loveland, CO
    Umbrella cockatoo eggs are the same size as a bantam d'Uccle egg I was given (which turned out to be infertile). Cockatoo clutch size is 1-2 eggs, and right now she's on 2 full-sized chicken eggs, so they're a little big for what she's, but they seem to be developing right on time when I candle them.

Hatch day is June 14th, but I am having surgery that day (only day they could get me in this month- what timing!!!) so please send some vibes that they hatch like on the 12th or 13th so I don't miss her bid day!

She's setting really well, and in the house, of course, AND in a double insulated nest box (which I made from a covered cat litter box and a cardboard box (with crumpled newspaper in the gap in between the two), so it's easier to keep them at temperature. I also have coming in the mail a little incubator and a brooder just in case. I believe she will see them through as chicks, but the challenge is that in her enthusiasm, instead of taking out a few abdominal feathers for a brood patch, she took out all her plumage except the head, right down to the down. Flights, tail feathers, back feathers- all picked to the down to line that nest box! She is all down except the head, and therefore I am wondering if she has enough plumage to keep them warm, so we are prepared in case she can't hold them at 99.5* for that first week.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. BirdaMay

Jun 8, 2016
    Loveland, CO
    I just posted a VIDEO of Birda in her nesty box! I also explain the nesty box design. In the middle of it, my phone rings, and it's the lady who has what I hope is my new chicken coop! Send me some good prayers adn vibes so I can find a friend with a truck to drive an hour south to Denver to help me pick it up!

Here is the link to Birda's video on FB. It's too big of a file to keep uploading more than once- took several hours. Nice, high resolution!
    Enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by