A comb question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pw_quiltworks, Jan 20, 2009.

1. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    A friend came over last weekend and we went out to the coop. She was surprised they have such small combs. They are 3 and 1/2 months old. Should they have large combs? I have red star pullets. The combs are a flesh color. Otherwise they seem real healthy. I feed them crumbles and grit. The grit is in a separate dish. They are about 3 1/2 pounds or so. I heat the coop. Not hot not cold. Sometimes it gets cold at night so I lower the lamp. Could any of this stunt the comb growth?
    Priscilla

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    no, nothing to stunt the growth. Does your friend even know what a chicken should look like. They are not mature yet, so that would explain, when the comb reddens, then they will get a little bigger. The roosters have the BIG combs [​IMG]

3. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Thank You. Maybe by March when they start laying they will have more red on them. My friend had chickens as adults. I figure she would know a lot more than I do. Hopefully it is because they are still growing. I worry because I have never had chickens. As a matter of fact where I come from there were no farm animals on the Island. They have some now. Not really farms just farm animals. I am just amazed to see all the different farm animals and wild life up here. It's just wonderful. Thanks for you help.
    Priscilla

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Their combs don't get big and red til around when they start laying (and even then, they're smaller and pinker than they get *eventually*).

I think your friend just doesn't know from young chickens. So, no worries [​IMG]

Pat

5. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Thanks. I did notice one is getting a little red. One had a bloody nose. I don't know what is up with that. It seems forever waiting for them to lay their first eggs. Now if I can find one red star roo.

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Different breeds have different colors and sizes of combs. For example, one can't compare a Barred Rock hen's comb to a White Leghorn hen's comb.

Is she just unfamiliar with the characteristics of the breed you're raising?

7. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    I checked out your comb link. That is great. I love the buttercup vx single comb. What breed carries that? I had no idea there are so many. I like the comb picture I put it as a wall paper on my desktop.

I can't wait for March to come. My hens will be a laying.

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Thanks! [​IMG] A lot of the birds in that picture are just results of random crosses between various comb types, and mutations and such. It's a really cool picture, though.

I need to get my rear in gear and finish that page. I want to put pics of BYCers' birds on the main page for comb examples.

9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

My sex links are now 8 months and two of them kept very small combs- I see this as a bonus, less likely to get frostbite...you have a cold-hardy cross, I'm so pleased with mine and I bet you will be, too! 12 eggs from 12 hens today...[​IMG]

10. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:I am so glad to hear they are good in cold weather. Next year I don't plan to heat the coop. Only if it is sub zero temps. I am so looking forward to seeing the first eggs. I know it will be in late march. I still look. I don't even have the nest boxes up yet. No real need until the middle of March. Do you get 12 eggs on most days or does it vary? What size eggs do they lay? I know I ask a lot of questions. I know very little about chickens. Mine are getting a little aggressive. Not sure why. I only go out to feed and give them fresh water daily. Just can't figure it out. They do seem like my poop boots but not me. [​IMG] The hen in your picture is that one of your 8 month olds? They are good looking chickens.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by