A companion

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lmjc, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Lmjc

Lmjc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2012
    I have 3 rhode island reds, they are like 2-3 weeks old, I want them to be a companion when they become adults, I don't want them to peck me, I want to be able to pet and hold them whenever without them trying to run away. Is there any way to do this? :) please inform me, this is one of my dreams :D.... They will live outside in a coop but I still want everything I said, the holding, petting, and non pecking and whatnot xD

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Handling them A LOT, also sitting with them in the coop if space allows for it. This is what I did with my first batch and am now doing with my second batch. Also when they are 4-6 weeks old and start liking treats, they will see you as a treat provider. When I go out with raisins, I have 2 that regularly jump up onto my lap when feeding treats. All of them let me pick them up and pet or inspect them, which I do at least once a week. They follow me around the yard just like my dog does.

3. Lmjc

Lmjc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2012
    So I should just pet and pick up and hold them a lot, and when they get bigger feed them treats? Oh and can you name a lot of treats that they really love? Because I feed my rooster bread and he seems to like it as a treat... But I want to know what you feed yours

4. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    If you have a roo, then make sure you inspect the girls weekly. I found a skin tear in one of my girls from my cockerel's claws tearing it during a mate, found it a day or two later as it was already healing. She is much better now, 2 weeks later, still have my cockerel in "jail". I give them the following as treats
    raisins, pancakes, bread, scratch grains, fruit(non-citrus), vegies(no potatoes unless peeled and cooked). I get 2lbs of raisins every other week from the bulk foods at the store, they really love those.

5. Lmjc

Lmjc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2012
    Thank you :) so all I have to do it pick them up and pet them and treat them, sounds easy enough :D lol my roo is a butt to my younger brother I'm guessing because he's small, and because I'm the dominate roo of my flock.. I also think my roo is on edge sometimes because he was the only 1 out of 4 of my flock of previous chickens that survived a dog attack, I'd love to make my roo nice too but I almost feel as if it's to late he doesn't buck up to me or anything but I'd like him to be a companion also, but I think picking him up is kind of a death wish for me :D

6. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I won my cockerel over with treats. I got him when he was 16 weeks old. He wouldn't come near me. When I would hand feed my girls I would throw treats on the ground near him. After 3 week of doing this daily he started taking treats from my hand. He won't take it in an open palm, I have to hold it in my fingers, but I am ok with it.

7. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to Byc

8. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

9. Fur & Feathers

Fur & Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    cheshire
    My Coop
    hi Lmjc,
    try digging for worms as well or buy some dried meal worms,in the colder days/nights they also go absolutely bonkers for warm porridge [no sugar added just made with water],mine like theirs mixed with dried meal worms,some sultanas and grass that has been cut up with scissors into little bits.
    several chucks of mine are mad for wriggly earth worms,and our seven year old exbat seems to have a homing device for slugs as she will find them anywhere and destroy them in one,some people make it a habit to feed their chickens slugs but slugs have got live parasites living in them which can tecnicaly pass onto the chicken.

with bread,make sure to soak it in water first because dried bread expands and causes an impaction in the crop which can be life threatening.

this is a great page to bookmark by the way-
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens
    the chicken treat chart,pretty much every common thing found is reviewed on it as ok or not.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  10. Lmjc

Lmjc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2012
    Oh my god!! I haven't been watering the bread!! and I've fed him a good bit of bread but he seems okay, what should I do!!??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by