A complete newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ssalcido1, Jan 28, 2016.

1. ssalcido1

ssalcido1 New Egg

Jan 28, 2016
    Hi all I live in New Mexico and excited to join the group. We are wanting to build our coop in the next few weeks and plan on getting chicks from our local tractor supply. I am excited about this new project and am only interested in egg production

2. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to Back Yard Chickens! Do you know what breed(s) you plan to get?

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us.

I don't know if you get a real choice at TSC - but avoid straight runs - you will end up with 50% or more roos. You can get an idea from the local store what breeds they will offer, study up on those to try to select the gals.

4. ssalcido1

ssalcido1 New Egg

Jan 28, 2016
    Thank you for the warm welcome. I don't know yet I'm reading up on them to determine what I want. I do know I like RI reds and Americaunas I will also check the feed stores. My problem I can't order what most places online have as minimums. I only can have about 10 for now and minimums are 20 from what ice seen so far

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Do you have smaller independent feed/seed stores that get baby chicks? If yes, talk with them, they can tell you what breeds they will get, and may get sexed ones which lessens the risk of roos. Personally got my gals at 3 days old and thank goodness all 6 were females - from a small community pet/animal supply store. And most of them don't have a minimum.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. If high egg production is your main priority, I would recommend going with Sex Links which are the best brown egg layers in the chicken world, and which your tractor supply will almost certainly have for this very reason. I especially like the Black Sex Links (Black Stars) as they are very friendly and hardy, egg laying machines that will consistently churn out more than 300 large brown eggs per hen per year. They are especially persistent layers in cold winter weather. If you want a standard breed (Sex Links are hybrids), I would recommend Black Australorps which are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (good lap pets), and excellent layers of brown eggs. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Some feed stores will order a particular breed for you if it isn't one they were going to be getting. If your stores won't do that and hatchery minimums are a problem, you can maybe split an order with someone else. Also, once you have 20 posts, you can use the buy-sell-trade forum...maybe there will be something you could get from there.

Good luck!

8. 7littlegirls

7littlegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2015
    Long Island NY
    Hi :frow welcome to BYC! Enjoy!

9. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to our community. I wish you all the best in your new chicken adventure.

CT

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by