A completely unexpected joy of having my own eggs

IamRainey

Crowing
Aug 22, 2017
Los Angeles (Woodland Hills); gardening zone 9B
EVERYbody in the known world writes recipes for large eggs. ...except Ina Garten.

Today I'm making an obscene chocolate layer cake from one of her recipes that specifies extra large eggs. Ordinarily, being completely anal, I'd run out for some extra large eggs. And I'd have to buy half a dozen when I wanted 2. But, thanks to my girls, I not only have them in a variety of colors but a variety of sizes.

Thank you, girls! An extra ration of blueberries for you today! :wee

EVERYbody in the known world writes recipes for large eggs. ...except Ina Garten.

Today I'm making an obscene chocolate layer cake from one of her recipes that specifies extra large eggs. Ordinarily, being completely anal, I'd run out for some extra large eggs. And I'd have to buy half a dozen when I wanted 2. But, thanks to my girls, I not only have them in a variety of colors but a variety of sizes.

Thank you, girls! An extra ration of blueberries for you today! :wee

Duck eggs are THE BEST for baking. :thumbsup I've become quite a duck egg snob. :oops:

Last edited:
Yeah, i was wondering, wouldn't a duck egg equal an extra-large hen egg? How about two small hen eggs ... ? Would that work?

I think that probably sounds about right. I guess it depends on the breeds. My Cayuga duck lays a smaller egg than the Pekin & Swedish Blue do. Same with the chickens, so you'd probably want to just eyeball a guess. I'm weird tho, I almost always add an extra egg to my baked desserts. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom