A Coop?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Tikkajazz94, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Can a quail have a A framed coop?

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    honestly i'm kinda confused what you mean by framed...as in like...build a frame and put a top on it?

3. Tikkajazz94

something like this: [​IMG]

4. Missi

Missi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    I don't see why not [​IMG]

5. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    Quote:I have seen quail kept in something like that before, but I suppose you'd have to pick carefully where you keep it. And quails can get toeballs from walking on soil can't they? Not sure...but if it works for you, then it works for you. The people I have met who keep quail in runs like this have had no problems with them. Would recommend regular worming, though [​IMG]

6. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Only problem I can see is the height. If they get spooked they will fly straight up and bash their heads on a coop that low. I've had quail scalp themselves when they hit their heads.

It would be better to be in a covered, flat roofed coop so you could attach some padding to the underside of the roof. I put padding on the roof of my hospital cages which are only 40cm high and have never had a quail damage (or re-damage) itself in one.

7. Tikkajazz94

sweet,

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    A couple things about this coop...the night time critters are going to dig under there pretty easily at eat your birds. So you would need to bury hardware cloth very deeply around the outside. Maybe bury railroad ties, two deep and set and attach the entire thing to the top tie.

Second, you don't want quail living on mud. Lots of problems with mud balls on the feet and along with poop all over the place, you are asking for disease. So the entire thing would need to be covered during bad weather. Or possibly place this coop under a sheltered area.

Quail can live well on the ground if it is kept dry.

9. Tikkajazz94

Okay. So I would have to move it. Thats simple.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  10. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    if it was me, i'd take it and set it on some posts to elevated it up off the ground, i wouldn't be worried about the height to much. My coop is 2 feet high, they get spooked sometimes and fly up there but i havn't lost any that way just yet.

looks like a good kinda setup tho, of course i would have 1/2" on the bottom and 1/4" all around

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by