A corner of my coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Remudamom, May 6, 2009.

1. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought this might help my littlest banties intro into the flock. I blocked off a corner with an old screen door, and lifted it high enough off the ground that the two babies can come and go but not the big chickens. They don't seem inclined to jump over the top.

I've been watching them pretty carefully and it seems to be working. The adults for the most part leave the babies alone even when they come out into the coop.

[​IMG]

2. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    That's a good idea.. Gives the little ones a safe haven to run to in the event that the adults get a little rough.

3. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    Thanks for sharing. Clever!

4. Shkittles

Shkittles Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow i think i might do something like that when i move my 8 week old and 4 week olds into the shed once it's done. THANKS FOR THE IDEA!! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2009
  5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Great idea [​IMG]

6. Flying Burrito

Flying Burrito New Egg

May 5, 2009
    Salem, Oregon
    i think i will add this to my cop design as well. I have a lower section for a brooding area and didn't know how to separate the little ones safely. Great Idea!!!!
    thanks for the tip.[​IMG]

7. motherbear

motherbear Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    CA Gold Country
    I love it! Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

8. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I plan on moving my 3 week olds in with the 9 wk olds next week and I was going to section off a corner and build something. This is a great idea and will save me a big headache! Temporary too, great idea:thumbsup!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by