A Cornish X bounty

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
Just wanted to share what I was able to get out of just 16 Cornish X. Processed with crude equipment in my backyard. Food security, how I love thee.

This is about 40-50 lbs of breasts, thigh quarters and wings in the freezer. There is also two huge tupperwares of DENSE chicken soup. I made broth first, then added a few legs, wings, and breast scraps. Celery carrot onon garlic ginger and spices. It's so meaty, nutritious and delicious.
20201105_151840.jpg

Here's an example of a bone in breast.
20201103_110323.jpg

I just got a pressure canner so I decided to make a bunch of stock out of the feet/necks/backs to save for winter. I ended up with 6 quartz of stock that hardens when cold. Will spruce up nearly any recipe and makes a great foundation for lots of dishes. I think I will skim the fat off the top before pressure canning and use that (schmaltz) for cooking!
20201105_151657.jpg

20201105_151713.jpg

In the fridge there's 40lbs (6 birds) of whole bird resting in their bags. Also some more soup for eating this week (I love adding matzo balls to it for dinner!) and the broth until I can it.
20201106_170756.jpg

I don't post this to brag. I just wanted to show people what they can accomplish with one small batch of meat birds. That is a substantial amount of food that ended up costing me about $1 a pound!! If I can do it you can do it.

Here is some info on raising and processing Cornish X if you're interested.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-x-for-health-hardiness-and-efficiency.76068/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...inners-overview-setup-cost-and-results.75951/

Thanks for reading!

Curious how you got the feet to cooperate?? I've had generally good results processing so far, albeit considerably older birds, but could not successfully peel the outer layer off the feet so I could throw them in the pot with the carcass, neck, and wing tips.
My first batch I struggled trying to dip individual feet and then peel. They needed to be dipped for a while. This time I just simmered the feet all at once in some water for 5-10 mins. It still wasn't super easy. I quit after 8 feet. It was plenty with all the other stuff. The rest will go to the pups as dog treats. They are in my other freezer. :)

ETA: After heating, run under cold water for a few. This process removed some layers of skin as well as scales.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom