A Couple Dubbing Questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by WildernessLofts, Sep 17, 2009.

1. WildernessLofts

WildernessLofts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    North Topeka, KS
    I'm sure you guys get a lot of these. lol

Anyway, it's short and sweet: Is it required to do the earlobes, or can you show with those not dubbed?

Also, I read somewhere at some point to not dub at night because the cock will hang his head and die from loss of blood, but I've read elsewhere that it's preferable to do it at night because they are less active.

Which is the true statement?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I can't answer the 2nd, but yes, earlobes are dubbed along with comb & wattles.

3. blackred

blackred Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2007
    Blue Texas
    I prefer to dub at night. I put the birds up in a 2x2 coop the day before and that way they are less flighty when caught.
    The next morning I put Neo-Sporin on the cut and put them back on the ground. Most of the time they are all healed in about 1-2 weeks but it should be done 3 weeks before the show.

Bob

4. WildernessLofts

WildernessLofts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    North Topeka, KS
    Thanks. I just did my first one tonight. I only did his comb, though, because I wanted to make sure I'm comfortable with the procedure before I do too much. I don't want to do irreversible damage to one of my birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by