A couple horsey photos

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickerdoodle13, May 13, 2010.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It was a really nice day, so I took a few pictures of the horses eating their hay. The winter was a rough one and I was afraid to photograph them for awhile because they looked kind of thin, but I'm really happy with the way they've gained weight. Stetson (the sorrel) needs some exercise to build up his back muscles and Sedona (the roan) still has a little bit of rib showing but she's coming along. Cheyenne (the paint) will be three this weekend and she's still shedding out her winter coat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ponygal12

ponygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Looking good! I have the opposite problem with my mare. She's so fat! Her girth barely fits. A diet is in her future, lol.

3. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Gorgeous horses, beautiful pictures [​IMG]

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    LOL, I wish we had that problem with our horses! In the Fall, we transitioned to a new food with less sugar in it and i think that's why we had such a problem with weight this winter. The old gelding we have who isn't pictured still needs to gain a ton of weight. He's always been a tough keeper and his age is really showing. He's so bony but we feed him and feed him. We're going to have to start switching foods with him because what we are feeding right now just isn't putting the weight back on him.

5. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Quote:I have an older gelding like that. I have had the vet out and an equine dentist (had his whole mouth realigned) and he is STILL skinny! He gets the best senior food, 2 cups of Calf manna supplement, beet pulp and free choice good quality timothy hay. The vet said he may never gain it, this may be how he is! It bothers me to see him that way but neither the vet nor the dentist are concerned with his weight [​IMG] I am doing everything recommended by them and he has gained very little weight! Hard keepers are hard to keep for sure! (No pun intended!)

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Good lookin' trio you got there!

7. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    beautiful horses! I like the first picture of Stetson, with his tail swish. [​IMG]

8. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Nice horses! This was a rough winter. I'm so glad it's over!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by