1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A couple of bunny questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by archil, Dec 18, 2013.

1. archil

archil Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    I have two bunnies that don't seem all that interested in hay, but they'll eat grass all day.
    Is long grass a suitable substitute, will it have the same tooth maintenance effects of hay?? They will eat a little hay, and I always supply it but they don't get anywhere close to the amound of hay ive been recommended.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, how can I test if my bunny is blind.
    I have a small gray medium length haired bun who's about 20-30 weeks old. We got her when she was 12 weeks old and not long after I found her having seizures, we took her to the vet and he told us she had a parasite/floppy bunny syndrome,
    he gave us some wormer to get rid of the parasite, which worked, but in the time it was taking to work she continued to have terrible seizures, in the beginning pretty much all day every few minutes. She was also very underweight and hypoglycemic.
    I think that during one of the seizures she bit her tongue because she had a lot of blood around her mouth for one night.

She's pretty much 100% better now but she seems to be a little unresponsive when I move my hands towards her, as if she can't see them, and a couple of times I've seen her run into new objects I've put in her cage.

I've tried moving my hands towards her fast without making a sound, and she wont respond.
    She always had rather odd colored eyes, and I was wondering if she may have vision problems or if the seizures or parasite affected her vision??

[​IMG]
    Here's the best picture I could find
    Basically her eyes are very dark, the iris is hardly lighter than the pupil, except that there is a small white half ring around the bottom of the pupil in both of her eyes.

2. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Grass will not have the same tooth maintenance as hay, but it has more nutrients, so I would continue offering both and let them decide what they need.
    It does sound like your little seizure bunny is blind, but I can't say what could have caused it. I had a blind bunny once. He was very sweet and lived a fairly normal life [​IMG]

3. archil

archil Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    What else can I give for tooth maintenance, grey bunny doesnt seem interested in toys much, i think it may be because shes still getting over illness though, every day she seems a lil more interested in the world.

is there some kind of cuttlebone for bunnies, could i chop some up to put in their food or treats or woud they ignore it?

4. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Do they actually have problems with their teeth? If they don't I wouldn't push them into anything. If they have wooden toys and chews to play with/chew on, then I wouldn't worry. If they have overgrown or unmatched teeth, then a visit to the vet to have them filed would be best.

5. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Cleveland OH
    You can offer lots of things for tooth maintainance. Some branches are rabbit-safe... Blackberry and raspberry are particularly good on rabbits that don't normally eat wood, but rose, apple and pear are good too. Nettles can get very stemmy and my bunnies LOVE them. The occasional carrot or plain brown cardboard box helps a little, but carrots are high calorie... And you can get a lava block from the pet store too and they are VERY good. Pretty much anything safe for them to gnaw apart but hard to chew will help with their teeth.

6. sophiesmith

sophiesmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2012
    Van Wert, OH
    Another tooth maintainance is taking them to the vet and getting they teeth filed. But that is expensive. I found out the other day that they have loofa chews for rabbits. My rabbit LOVED those. LOL

For the blind test go up to her eye with your finger. If she blinks she can see

Hope it helped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by