A couple of coop basics?

Zahboo

Simply Stated
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
Hope Mills, NC
I am going to build a pallet coop. I have the door, even though that's all I have. LOL. It is going to be 12x8. The front is 8' and the back is 6'. I am needing help on some basics.

- How high should the pop doors be. I am having bantams and standards, and want both doors to be even height.

- How wide should the ramps be. I was thinking of having 4' long ramps.

- Is drywall okay for the birds if they peck it, or should I use OSB?

- For the inside, should paint be exterior, or is interior paint okay?

- Is there a certain way the door should be facing?

Good luck with the coop.
Our pop door is 17 inches tall and 11 inches wide.
My ramp is the same width as the door, 11 inches. It could be narrower if you wanted.
I think they would peck and destroy drywall, and it would be difficult to disinfect if necessary. It might also get moldy at the bottom if there was too much dampness in the coop.
I have no idea about the paint as I didn't paint the inside of mine.
I agree with momofdrew that its whatever is convenient for you. Mine faces into the run. If open all the time (as mine is) you might not want it facing the prevailing winds.

- How high should the pop doors be. I am having bantams and standards, and want both doors to be even height.

12" high is enough for standards.

- How wide should the ramps be. I was thinking of having 4' long ramps.

No experience

- Is drywall okay for the birds if they peck it, or should I use OSB?

I also vote against drywall, primarily from the mold viewpoint when it gets wet.

- For the inside, should paint be exterior, or is interior paint okay?

I also vote for exterior forthe reasons stated.

- Is there a certain way the door should be facing?

I think you are talking about door swing. This might be an interesting topic for a thread, but I'm not going to start it. There are reasons for the door to swing in. There are reasons for a door to swing out. It depends on your set-up. Someone on here mentioned that a door swinging in makes it easier to keep the chickens form rushing out when they open the door. Someone else mentioned the litter built up so much that they could not open the door swinging inward. A door swing takes up usable space rhat has to remain clear, whichever way it swings. Is your coop space more valuable than your other space.

They do eat drywall. Ask me how I know. (I was not the one who put the drywall there btw
tongue.png
-- and yes, they eat duct tape that you try *covering* the exposed drywall with, *too*!) I do not know how bad it is for them but it sure ain't good for the drywall. Since you would end up having to replace the drywall anyhow, I'd just skip it int he first place.

I prefer exterior semigloss for the interior of the coop (prime well first, and use two thin rather than one thick coat).

What Ridgerunner said about door swing.

BTW make sure to cut the popholes well *above* floor level unless you want bedding constantly being kicked out.

Good luck, hav fun,

Pat

BTW make sure to cut the popholes well *above* floor level unless you want bedding constantly being kicked out.

Very true! I have this happen and there is a pile up outside the pop door at ALL times! Hate it. One lesson learned!​

Okay. These are the things I've gathered so far. Some things I've added my own twist to:

- Pop doors should be high enough to keep shavings in. I am thinking 8" off the ground, maybe with a ramp from the floor so they don't have to jump.

- I am going to make the door swing to the inside, the door knob on the left when on outside. If this makes sense. I am going to have a screen door that is on the outside that way on nice days there is a lot of ventilation. This will be in the storage area. No concerrns of chickens escaping through door or tearing screen.

-Pop door will be 12" wide and 15" tall. This should be big enough for leghorns right? Instead of having a lifting door on pulley system, like most, I plan for the door to be hinged on the side and able to be closed from the inside. This is convinent for me. I'm slightly weird and hug my chickens at night. They are like little kids. I can close it when saying good night.

- No drywall, I get it!. I am unsure of what I will be using. I've thought of OSB painted with exterior paint. I have to decide on color. There is going to be a theme in my coop, with chicken curtains and a chair for me in the storage area. I know how to sew, so I am going all out. LOL.

- The ramp will be a 2x6. That way it's not too thin for them.

-I am having roosts in the run, that way they can hang out in the run.

- THANKS

Back
Top Bottom