A couple of easy questions about sexing chicks.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NixNoodleNumbat, Jan 21, 2011.

1. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    I noticed different things about too-young-to-sex chicks. First of all, some chicks have neat tail feathers, others stick out, even though they're the same breed, is this a way to tell between boy and girls? What are hackle and saddle feathers? This should be easy to answer.

Thanks!

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Some experts can sex chicks very early. Almost 19 years and I still wait for an egg or a crow, lol. I have read that cockerals are slower to feather out, but that's never worked for me very well. [​IMG]

Hackles grow around the neck, in a cockeral they are pointed, rounded in pullets. Same thing with saddle feathers, but the usually show up where the tail meets the body, only in cockerals. The bad news is that hackle and saddle feathers don't ordinarily show up until 5-8 months.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Honestly, it depends on the breed. Some breeds can be fairly accurately sexed at hatch like barred rocks and welsummers. Others like Orps take a bit longer, but I can usually sex most of those by 4 weeks old. Silver penciled rocks and dark brahmas can be sexed by the feather coloring as males feather out differently than females. The tricky ones are EE's, Ameraucana's and I find any white bird tricky to sex.

4. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    What about standard Cochins? I bought some hatching eggs online and hatched one from a dozen eggs. They can get shook up pretty bad and only 3 were viable by the time they got to me. I found by tracking them online that they were hung up in KC for a few days before finally shipped on to me so even one hatching is fine since I was only wanting one anyway.....hoping it's a rooster. This is a pet for my husband who wants just a single, big, colorful rooster to free range in the yard. This chick is a Golden Laced Cochin. Is there anyway I can tell early whether it's a cockerel or pullet from the feathering? It won't really matter, if it's a pullet I'll be thrilled too. She would get to live with my Marans and especially nice if she likes to set eggs for me. It's more a matter of wanting to know for fun. Just hatched last night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by