A couple of egg questions?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alecia86, Jan 23, 2013.

1. alecia86

alecia86 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2012
    We ave two chickens - penny we have had about 3 weeks, Henny for almost 2.

We think Henny is older (she has a deep voice and is a grumpy thing lol) and penny is probably a year, maybe? We don't know the origins of either. They are both isa browns.

Penny started laying a few days before we got Henny, and has been consistent. One day penny didn't lay an egg. I wasn't worried, but wondered why. She has cute little speckled eggs. The day after penny didn't lay, we found an egg in henrietta's cage aswell as penny's cage. The one in henny's cage looked different (it was perfectly coloured - completely brown, but still about the same size as penny's (44g) ).

Do you think henrietta layed it? They do have access to each others houses, but I foud this egg right in front of the door of henny's coop and it wasn't there when I locked her in. (Could she have rolled it to the door if it was penny's? )

We have now put them both in together - which s going well... Then a couple of days ago I got a 60g egg from one of them! Again it was darker brown and not speckled. Yesterday the egg I got was still reasonably large, but a bit elongated. And now today, the egg is stripey (see picture).

Can anyone who knows something about eggs shed some light? Do they normally lay the same coloured/size eggs every day, or does it really differ from day to day?

[​IMG]

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Generally they will lay the same color/size every day.
    HOWEVER, they will also lay some wildly shaped eggs on occasion and the color will vary.

3. alecia86

Dec 29, 2012
    Any idea why that one could be weird colours? It was also found at the door of the new coop. I found another one tonight in the normal spot, so I assume the weird one is henrietta's (so only her second egg since we've had her).

It looks like its been rolled in bleach or something. It looks really odd.

4. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

The brown pigment is not colour fast until it dries- the egg may have got rained on

5. alecia86

Dec 29, 2012
    Ahhhh that makes sense! Maybe not rain, but it was near the waterer! That makes perfect sense... I'd never considered that! Thanks heaps :D

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If you can get to an egg just after it has been laid, before the bloom on it dries you can rub off the pigment, but rain will not wash it off like that.

White banded eggs like the one you pictured is a result of two eggs coming into contact with each other in the shell gland pouch. When this happens, normal calcification is interrupted and the first egg retained in the pouch will have an extra layer of calcium. This is the white band you are seeing. Causes are stress, changes in lighting (like when add extra light in winter) and in some cases disease.

1 person likes this.
  7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I agree, water can do some discoloration but not like this. I have had some weird coloring one with this extreme cold today, I think the hens are effected and also my eggs are frozen. Go aWAY cold!!! Congrats on your new layer!! What kinda chickens are they? are you planning for more?

8. alecia86

Dec 29, 2012
    Thanks guys! Oh I hope it's not disease!!! We have had some hot days lately (41c) and of course both of my two girls are newish and probably a bit stressed getting used to each other.

If it was disease would I continue to see eggs like that? Is that egg safe to eat?

Sally sunshine - they are isa browns, and no I'm not planning any more. These two weren't even planned. We found one just before Christmas and then gt the second as a friend for her. :) I love them, but twos enough especially in our yard

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If they are new it could just be stress and the heat! Wow, we had heat like that in SA where I used to live. It went up to 57*C once. My poor chickens, I'm amazed they didn't lay cooked eggs LOL
    Check your hen for signs of disease and do what you can to keep them cool. I used to make mud puddles for mine to cool their feet in. They loved it! I wouldn't worry unless she keeps laying eggs like that. Oh, and Apple Cider Vinegar helps them with stress. Mix 4-5 tablespoons to a gallon water and give them that for a few days?

10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    oh how lovely!! Well I am happy you have two!! they will be spoiled girls!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by