A couple of my little ladies, just for fun

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Henicillin, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    My girls are hatchery birds, so they obviously won't be winning any prizes any time soon for conformation to their breed standards, but I think they're cute anyway. [​IMG]

The Wyandotte is Daphne, and the BO is Mrs. Beasley. They're 5 1/2 weeks old.

[​IMG]
    Daphne and Mrs. Beasley by Henicillin, on Flickr

chickensbirds likes this.
  2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    They are lovely! Daphne looks like a roo, just a little bit....
    ETA mixed the birds up [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  3. Chickens_in_a_nutshell

Chickens_in_a_nutshell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Montana
    Very pretty! [​IMG]

4. Henicillin

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Quote:I've noticed that over the past few days - the comb is really beginning to pink up, which isn't happening with the other Wyandotte, Velma (why, yes, I am a child of the '70s!). If she turned out to be a Fred instead of a Daphne, I'd be good with it, as this bird is a real sweetheart. She/he insists on being held, and will sit on my shoulder, groom my hair, and chirr and twitter in my ear for as long as I'll allow it. Roos are permitted in my area, so a Fred would be a keeper!

5. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    they're beautiful!!! [​IMG]

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:I've noticed that over the past few days - the comb is really beginning to pink up, which isn't happening with the other Wyandotte, Velma (why, yes, I am a child of the '70s!). If she turned out to be a Fred instead of a Daphne, I'd be good with it, as this bird is a real sweetheart. She/he insists on being held, and will sit on my shoulder, groom my hair, and chirr and twitter in my ear for as long as I'll allow it. Roos are permitted in my area, so a Fred would be a keeper!

My GL Wyandotte Annabelle does the exact same things as yours. I got my girl from a hatchery as well.

Both chicks are beautiful!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I really don't see any wattles. Look like pullets to me.

6 weeks old. Some do mature faster than others.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  8. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:They are beautiful enough to win some prizes here on BYC! We don't worry so much about conformation, just that they are adorable and loaded with cute, which your two have plenty of. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Henicillin

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Thanks, everyone! [​IMG] I'm proud of the little featherbutts - not bad for a first-time chicken mom. It's amazing how rewarding they are. I have a very high-stress job, and find that coming home to interact with them helps me decompress even after the cruddiest day.

Daphne does have little wattles developing, but they aren't much more than slivers along her lower jaw. I'm still holding out for a pullet! [​IMG]

10. gvilledh

gvilledh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Beautiful chicks. I have a little BO named Mrs. Beasley myself, along with a Buffy (not the most creative name for that one!). It's funny how many people have NO idea who/what Mrs. Beasley was!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by