A couple of my silkies...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by magikchick, Apr 26, 2009.

1. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Here's a couple of my silkies the first one is Sparkel. This is the first silkie I hatch out of my own birds. I think it's a hen and I love her to death. Her mother is a beardless splash and father is a partridge. She is super sweet too. She is about 6 weeks old.

[​IMG]

This one came from my friend Lisa and is just getting more georous every day. I have a feeling this may be a roo. I think this one is about 8 weeks old. Feel free to give me opions on these. I would like to know what you think.

[​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Sparkle is indeed a little girl [​IMG] Partidge and grey are colours that are different between the genders. SHe is actually a blue partridge.

Nice wings and looks like she will have a nice crest [​IMG]

The little blue looks like it may be very typey. Very fluffy. Way too early to tell gender.

3. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Wow Marsha! They are just gorgeous! (not that I am prejudice or anything! Heehee). I still have the other blue for you when you are ready.

Lisa

4. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Quote:Thanks I didn't know you could sex partridge by color. I'll have to look that up.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Partridge females are penciled throughout thier plumage--that is the pattern in her feathers.

Partridge males have penciling/lacing on their hackles & saddles. Primaries also.

So, with females you see predominantly secondary pattern: on individual feathers; with males you see primary patterns: different colours on different parts of the body.

6. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    Pretty girls!! I got my first Silkie chicks today and I am so excited I can hardly leave them alone!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] They are resting under their heat light right now, so I am trying to control myself.

I have 2 little Partridge Silkies. Before I ordered an assortment, I really didn't plan to order this color, but I love them! They are so pretty! [​IMG] I think these may end up being my favorite color! It seems like all I see in my area are white, black, buff, and an occasional gray one. The partridge is a bit more unusual in my area. I love them all, though! I hope they turn out as pretty as your babies in the pictures.

7. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    Quote:How can you tell the gender of gray ones by color? I was aware of the difference in Partridge males and females from reading I've been doing, but not the gray. Just curious...

8. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Grey is identical to partridge in a black & white/greyscale version--no red or gold. Pattern is the same; genotype of grey is SS or S- versus the ss or s- of partridge.

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

They are just gorgeous! And yes, Lisa does have the prettiest little silkies! I've got a couple too! I just love them to death. [​IMG] I also got the most beautiful show girl from Lisa, she is just so beautiful. I have to agree, I think she is show quality Lisa. I guess we owe a big thanks to our friend, Lisa! I qill have to post pics as soon as I can get my DD to take some for me, and put them up. I'm sure she will know what to do. [​IMG]

10. emmalynn

emmalynn Silkies Sebbies OEGBs

Oct 16, 2008
    Middle TN
    Quote:Sonoran,
    Where can I get more info on color patterns, etc? You seem to be a wealth of information- can I pick your brain?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by