A couple of Novices

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KymShell, Dec 28, 2013.

1. KymShell

KymShell New Egg

Dec 28, 2013
    Giday
    We are fairly new to raising and incubating ducks and chickens so this looks like the place to be to learn. Trouble is I'm not so good on the computer but will blunder through. We have incubated about 15 chicks and 6 ducklings but only three of the ducks survived. One hatched with only one eye and kept on jumping and another duckling that fell into a saucer of water. Yes we are learning. We slaughtered one of our roosters last night and to our horror found some intestinal worms inside. Now not sure if we can eat it. We have 9 chooks and now 7 roosters and 12 pullets, 6 long necked runner ducks ( well I think that is what you call them) and three ducklings. The roosters are all getting to aggressive now so will have to be knocked on the head or separated somehow. They are even jumping the ducks. I have read we can use Eprinex for the worms and as we have cows I will give this a go. I also have Abamectin an oral drench for the sheep but not sure if I can use that for the birds. Oh well good to be here and learning from you guys. Hi to you all.
    Kym & Shell

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    7 roosters is six too many. time for some fryers - welcome to BYC.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ducclelover10

Ducclelover10 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. KymShell

KymShell New Egg

Dec 28, 2013
    How many Roosters to how many Hens should there be

5. KymShell

KymShell New Egg

Dec 28, 2013
    How many Roosters to how many Hens should there be ( sorry still learning how to use this )

6. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi and :welcome

I've heard one rooster to ten hens is recommended. Good luck with treating your birds. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! The usual recommended ratio is around 10 hens per rooster, but it really depends on the individual roosters, some roos are fine with a couple of hens, other roos need a lot more, some roos also pick favorite hens and ignore the rest. Young hormonal roos can be pretty rough on the girls, but most will calm down some with age and as their technique gets better.

1 person likes this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop