A couple of quesions from a newbie

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mk1974, Apr 21, 2009.

1. mk1974

mk1974 New Egg

Apr 21, 2009
    Hello, I've been doing some searching here but cannot seem to find the answers I am looking for. It may be because I am new to this site.

1. I plan on having 4 hens for egg laying. The coop plan that I have drawn out is 8 feet along the front and back and 2.5 feet deep. Is this enough for 4 hens or am I going overboard? I want it to be big enough in case I would like to have 6 or 7 hens.

2. I was planing on having 1 foot X 1 foot nest boxes for them to lay their eggs. Is that big enough or should they be bigger?

Any help in answering these questions will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I would make it deeper. That is awful narrow. Birds will be pacing back and forth rubbing their cups on the wire! [​IMG] No really...I would make it deeper....from a sq. ft. stand point you are okay bit think in terms of a house...that isn't real usable space...more like a hallway...think about you in there...not much room

3. mk1974

mk1974 New Egg

Apr 21, 2009
    Perhaps you are thinking of it being the whole coop. What I was mentioning above is just for the house to lay their eggs in and keep their food and water in.

With that being said do you think it would still be too small?

Mike

4. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    I agree that you should make it wider. You have enough square footage (20 sq. ft) for 5 heavy-breed chickens or 6 light breed chickens assuming that you will also have a run for them to get out and move around more. The nest are OK for light breeds but may need to be slightly larger for heavy breeds (14 inches x 12 inches). You will probably need at least two nests. Also make sure you have room for a good roost.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    2.5' wide is a little iffy for that many birds (you don't want one keeping others out of part of the coop, as can happen in a narrow space like that)... and if you think you might want more you definitely need more space. Why not just go 4x8, then you'll be set for up to 8 hens [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    You say that it's just for sleeping at night but in extreme bad weather you may find yourself keeping them inside for a few days at a time. That's when it would be too narrow. They will get bored and start fighting and the loosing chick won't be able to get away. Go wider is my opinion. Welcome to chickens and BYC

7. mk1974

mk1974 New Egg

Apr 21, 2009
    Thanks for all of you comments. I think I will go 4X8. I can already see that this site is great with all kinds of support and kindness.

Mike:)

8. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I made my coop a 4x8x6 ft. tall and I tell ya', in the beginning I thought it was big enough (it is) but when my 3 kids get in w/the birds, it seems small. 4x8 is a perfect size, in my opinion, for a first timer. Good luck and if you have kids, wait 'til you see how they fit inside w/the chickens! It's funny!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by