A couple of questions about bio-security

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gritsar, Dec 29, 2007.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I was wondering how to handle someone visiting that would ask to see my chickens. I think this is especially important around here with the number of commercial houses in operation. In particular, I know that the farmer that leases our pasture land (and also has commercial chicken houses) will be interested in chickens that don't look anything like the commercial broilers. I was thinking of a response such as: I'm sorry Mr. Farmer, but I don't allow others to get too close to my chickens because of bio-security issues; as I'm sure you wouldn't want to take something home on your clothing from my chickens and infect your own. Think that would work?

Also, my second question:

Is Big Brother watching? This month's issue of Mother Earth News has an ad from the USDA with advice on providing good biosecurity for your backyard flock. It also says you can e-mail them for a free 2008 Biosecurity Calendar. From what I can see the calendar has pics of beautiful chickens for each month. I started to e-mail then changed my mind. What if the government is using this as a way to 'tag' people with backyard flocks for the NAIS? This may sound paranoid, probably is, but as much as I love living in a free country, I don't trust our government for squat right now. [​IMG]

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    have boots on the side so they can put them on before they step into the runs or land. There is so much you have to do in order to be careful. WHen I had a guy come over to take my boys and girl I brought them to his car. I would be so scared of him infecting my babies

3. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    gritsar

It also says you can e-mail them for a free 2008 Biosecurity Calendar. From what I can see the calendar has pics of beautiful chickens for each month.

I did get a calendar and they are beautiful. All you give them is your name and address they don't ask if you have chickens.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Plastic booties to go over shoes is a good first step. I know to visit university flocks, you must not have come into contact with any birds within 10 days. The greater risk is bugs from your birds to the farmers, as your birds will have natural immunities to more things and have a greater exposure to the world. This introduced to a completely closed in factory farm setting can be disaster because those birds have not built up immunities like your outdoor flock, and have to be in close quarters. So if you are too worried, you would not be wrong in saying that he would be risking his birds too.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks to all. I'm gonna e-mail for one tonight NC. Appreciated it.
    For others that might want one, you e-mail:

[email protected] and ask to be sent the calendar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by