1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A couple of questions about my incubator.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adroit14, Nov 18, 2015.

1. adroit14

adroit14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    Hi. I have i stalled a fan in my incubator and it is hanging by screws. Here it is[​IMG] will that affect the ventilation? There are only 2 screws. Thanks you. Also, my digital thermometer says that my incubator is 97 f while my regular thermometer says it's 99 f. Should I throw out the digital one?thank you

2. adroit14

Apr 7, 2015
    [​IMG] here is the inside photo from the incubator

3. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

No you should invest in a third or fourth thermometer and find out why they are different and what is true, what is your 'regular' one? I have used the same digital thermometer and found it to be quite accurate, but sometimes slow to adjust to changing temps...

Also consider where the thermometers are in the incubator, the digital one you have might slower swing since it's enclosed in a housing...

What way is the fan blowing? Ideally it should be blowing upwards so the air deflects across the roof, if it's blowing down either reverse it or avoid putting eggs directly under the downward blowing fan, instead put a bowl turned upside down under the fan so the air is deflected horizontal and not straight down... Or another option is to screw a sheet of plastic on the bottom of the fan spaced off about 1/2" that will direct the blow sideways... In the end it's easier to just have it blow upwards across the ceiling...

And last but not least, either make a screen cover for that fan (plastic craft canvas works well) or make sure to turn that fan off on hatch day or you will scalp the birds or worse...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  4. adroit14

Apr 7, 2015
    The way I shot the photo makes the fan look closer to the incubator floor than it actually is. Also, the eggs will be spaced around the fan's blowing air so they r all the same temp.

5. adroit14

Apr 7, 2015
    I have 2 regular ones, here they are.

6. adroit14

Apr 7, 2015
    [​IMG]

7. adroit14

Apr 7, 2015
    The fan is blowing downwards. I did that to insure all the heat made it down there because with the still-air incubator, the temp fluctuated throughout the incubator.

8. MeepBeep

This will create a dry hot spot under the fan, it's best to have the fans in incubators 'pull' air across the eggs vs blow air across the eggs... if you pull up as I suggest it will pull the 'cold' air bellow up and mix it with the hot air above...

9. adroit14

Apr 7, 2015
    My biggest concern is ventilation. If I were to do that, would that 1: mess up temp 2: not enough oxygen. So all I need to do is turn the fan upside down?

10. MeepBeep

I have the same, incubator the fan is too low and will pose a danger, remember chicks hatching will be climbing on each other and the other eggs while extending their heads to look around, why risk scalping when it's any easy fix? When I used that incubator I actually made a 2 1/2" middle ring extension to give it more height...

As for the thermometers were they at the same height? That digital one laying down is maybe 2" tall, while the others are maybe 1/4"? That height differnce can make a difference in the measured heat, I would invest in a third and confirm... I find the little glass 'floating' aquarium thermometers at Walmart for about $2 to be very accurate...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by