a couple of questions about my new Hova-Bator Genesis

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SusanJoM, May 6, 2008.

1. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

It just came late this afternoon, and I'm gonna put eggs in it as soon as it seems to be ready. There are a couple of things that I haven't found in the directions, and so I'm gonna ask you for some bits and pieces of information.

There's a red indicator light. Directions say that when it starts blinking it is "getting close to ready". Huh? So, when it's fully ready does it go off? What do the three possible light states indicate: Red =, Blinking =?, No light=.

Next question is about the turner. Does it turn all at once every 4 hours, or does it turn slowly and make a full turn in 4 hours? I don't know how to know if it is working right now...

Aargh....Sorry if these are lame questions, but my nerves are blocking my brain synapses for sure....

Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

Susan

2. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    No these are good questions that I need to know too. I ordered a genesis too but it wont be here till next week most likely so this will help me too.

3. SusanJoM

Okay, I can answer my own question about the turner, because it's been plugged in for a couple of hours and I can see that the cups have moved from a tilted position to a flat position. So, for anyone else who wanted to know beforehand, that's the answer: it moves continuously....and somewhat noisily....or maybe that's not what's making the noise.

In any case, the eggs are in the 'bator....

Susan

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I just got mine today...the red light means its on...flashing red light means it's getting close to the right temp...and when the light goes off it's at the right temp [​IMG] Enjoy your incubator! I'm testing mine right now so I'm having fun. I put in a cup of water to see what the humidity is at tomorrow. Right now it's holding steady at 99 degrees and 50 % humidity

5. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I tested 2 Genesis for 6-8 hours both held right on 99-100 the full test. [​IMG] The red light indicates heat, when it is on, the heater is on, when its blinking its on and off, on off and so on regulating the temperature. The turner turns slowly like a clock. Hope this helps.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  6. alabama girl

alabama girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Auburn, Al
    How lucky, I was just doing research on Genesis hovabators and cutlers supply. What model or number is yours, which one would be good, that is not too expensive, I'm just starting.

7. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Mine are the Genesis 1588 with a 1611 turner, Cutler has the best price $142.60 & shipping. This is the top rated foam incubator.

8. alabama girl

alabama girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Auburn, Al
    Thankyou that is exactly the advice or reassurance I was looking for. I'll order mine tomorrow.

9. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    If you order from cutler they are on back order so supposedly they will hav ethem sometime this week. I will be expecting a call once they arrive.

10. SusanJoM

Quote:I got the Hovabator Genesis (1588) with the automatic turner (1611?) from GFQ.

It took exactly two weeks to arrive and cost $172 including shipping and tax.

Everything I read here indicated that this would be a good way to start.

Susan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by