A couple of questions about my quail.

emsevers

Songster
11 Years
Nov 30, 2008
Carlton, OR
First of all I have a question about their food. I've been buying this really expensive food that has 28% protein. I think it's about $20 for a 50 lb bag. I was wondering if I could give them flock raiser that has 20% protein and maybe supplement with hard boiled eggs or something. Would that work or is there something else I could supplement with?

Second question, the roos are starting to do their call. They are about a month old now. So when will they start trying to mate? I'm not sure how many I have and I'm a little concerned that they are going to start fighting. Do they all mature at the same time? I grabbed one that I saw do the call and I was able to get that foam stuff out. So I'm wondering how long until I can successfully sex them all and get the extra males out? I know you probably can't give me a date I'm just wondering if one is mature what are the chances that the rest of the roos are at 1 month. Hope that's not too confusing.

ETA: They are Texas A&M's by the way. Forgot to add that.

Thanks

Last edited:
Quote:
Not confusing at all
smile.png

Thank you so much. The food coloring idea is great. I was thinking about doing the leg band thing but I really didn't want to have to buy them. That's such a great idea. I'm so excited for them to start laying. They are inside in my garage and I've been trying to give them 14 hours of light a day. So hopefully I'll have eggs soon.

Since they are A&M's do you think they will start laying closer to 8 weeks or would they be more the 5 to 6 week range? Also how long would you wait before you start incubating their eggs?

Quote:
Honestly, I'd say expect them at 8 weeks, though don't take my word as the truth because all my A & Ms are like 5 months old except my roo (they were hatched right at the end of summer, so by the time they were old enough to mate it was too cold outside so they didnt get into birdy maturity until this spring, the roo just started crowing like last week, so hopefully ill start expecting eggs soon.

As for when to start incubating the future eggs, if you observe mating, or open up an egg and see the bullseye that confirms fertility POP EM IN THE BATOR!!!
smile.png
Coturnix (esp jumbos) dont really seem to lay "pullet" sized eggs. I had my jumbo brown hen lay her first ever egg today....and it's HUGE for a pullet egg. Its in the bator!
smile.png
I've hatched many pullet coturnix eggs and had no problems.
smile.png
Only problem you should have (if any) is stinky eggs from any that may not be fertile yet
lau.gif

Yeah, I've had a few stinky chicken eggs. Not something that I'm going to forget anytime soon.
sickbyc.gif

They are very vocal birds. I'm at the complete opposite end of the house from them and I can hear them loud and clear. It's a good sound though. It means I should have more babies soon.
fl.gif

Thanks again for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom