A couple of questions about my RIR Roo's

mamahen09

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 7, 2009
Should I think about separating the 5 Roo's with them being 10 & 12 weeks old? They were raised together but should I be concerned right now about them going after each other? I'm concerned about what's going to happen when the first one crows. Any and all suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I had 3 roosters together until they were almost 7 months old. They got along fine- surprisingly, as there were 3 roosters and 8 girls. One was clearly the boss, one was the low man and the other was neutral. Then one of the roosters died, and the other 2 stayed together for a few more months.
They got along fine, but I think that is unusual. I had 2 roosters hatch together, and when they hit 4 months old, it was clear they were not good together. The one was constantly beating on the other. So they were seperated.
I think if they are away from the girls, they could live happily together- it seems the raging hormones kick in when they can see the girls, and that is when they start hassling each other ( In my experience)

I just recently sold my 8 5 month old buff orpington cockerels. They got along fine. They were raised together. One of the larger ones did show his domination but they didn't fight or anything.My DH has two roosters in with his flock. They freerange and do not fight when they are in the coop. Everyonce in awhile Romeo will chase Rowdy away from the girls but for the most part they share.

I had 6 roos that when they got older they just fought for dominance. I did find homes for all but 2 of them. Well, we ate one but he found a home in my freezer until we did. He kept attatcking my grandson. Can't have that.

Once they settle the hierarchy, only one should crow, if they are kept together. If you got less than 50 hens I would consider separating. Also dependsif they are free range or run kept. More space = less fights. Just like any other creature on earth the roosters will not fight with each other most of the time unless hens are introduced. No you should not be worried at there age right now. Good luck.

RIR roos can be pretty agressive- more so than some other breeds. That's alot of roos- I'd keep an eye on them and be ready to seperate when the need arises- and it probably will!

They've already determined pecking order and dominance, unless you see something you don't like, they should be fine together... But not if you have them with only a few hens..., then they are just better off penned separate from the hens but together as roos.

Quote:
I wish this was true - mine have always had "crow-offs" where one starts crowing and then the rest have to answer. It doesn't bother me but we live in the city, so I try to keep it down to two roosters.

Back
Top Bottom