A couple of questions regarding baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mondotomhead, Dec 21, 2011.

1. mondotomhead

mondotomhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
    My first question is for ordering baby chicks. If I order say 25 bantam assortment I can get a "straight run". What does that mean? Is it a mix of males and females?

Also, for all of you that hatch eggs out yourself what do you do with all the baby chickens you get? I mean, do you keep all of them?

Thanks in advance!

2. wayne hulgan

wayne hulgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Quote:You are correct, a stright run is a mix of both sexes. I do not hatch, so I cannot answer that question. If I did hatch, ain't no way we could keep every chick. happy chicky day.

3. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    I raise some to keep, some to sell, and some to eat. I don't raise any bantam or Mediterranean varieties, so most of the spare cockerels come out to be of decent eating size. There's a lady who lives nearby who sells goats, sheep, rabbits, chickens, etc. to the Muslim and African community in the area and she and I have made an arrangement for this upcoming season. She'll buy my extra males when they're between 16 and 20 weeks. I'm hoping it will allow me to charge a bit more for my pullets since I'll be raising them to about 4 weeks before sorting them rather than selling everything straight run at hatch. Few people want to buy cockerels so I'm optimistic this will work out well.

4. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    I am a self-proclaimed hatchaholic and so far.. all is well. I raise many of them for my own breeding flock but do sell chicks and occasionally older chickens - I also have a good "eating egg" number of customers so the grown hens come in handy. I can't process anything myself.. so would like to find someone local that will process them for halves..I could help once the actual killing part is done..

There always seems to be a market for chickens.. roosters not so much..but I have been very lucky selling a few of my extra roos.. most of the time someone comes for one thing and leave with that plus a rooster at a good price.. I am lucky

Shelly

5. snipercp

snipercp Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Nottingham
    when i hatch chicks i keep the ones i need and sell the others.

ETA there would be no point in me raising my birds to eat as my breeding stock are all bantams [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  6. mondotomhead

mondotomhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
    I just LOVE bantams myself especially the cochins

I am thinking of maybe getting a brooder to hatch out the eggs being laid by a barred rock hen (Denise) and a black polish roo (Napoleon). I think the chicks from this union would be very interesting looking!

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    With bantams hatcheries only sell straight run meaning male and female as bantams are harder the vent sex. Since they are small vent sexing can easily hurt them. When I hatch I keep a few and sell the rest. So far I have hatched probably over 100 this last year and sold all that I didnt keep. I had one guy buy 1o from me I told him the majority were cockrels and he was fine with that. I ended up with a rooster hatch with that batch. I think out of 18 I only got 6 pullets the rest were cockrels. Thats just the chance you take with hatching. I did pick out some white rocks from a straight run at the feedstore and ended up all pullets. That is rare and I was just lucky.Right now I have a bantam buff cochin that hatched out 4 babies 2 LF 2 bantams I think as far as I can tell right now ( they hatched Dec 7th) I have 2 cockrels 1 bantam 1 LF and 2 pullets 1 bantam 1 LF.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by